Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 07 January 2015 12:19 pm

Charlie Hebdo: Three gunmen on the run after killing 12 in Paris attack while vigils organised around the world

By: Catherine Neilan

Add as a preferred source on Google

The three gunmen thought to be responsible for the attack on satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, in which 12 people were killed, are still on the run. 

The attack took place at mid-morning today in the publication's Parisian office. 
 
Four of the victims have so far been named: publishing director Stephane Charbonnier, known as Charb, and three cartoonists –  Jean Cabu, who was known by his last name, Bernard 'Tignous" Verlhac and George Wolinski. 
 
Two of those killed were police officers.  A further 20 people are thought to have been injured in the shoot-out, five of them seriously. 
 
Several other staff managed to shelter on the roof of the building, where this video was filmed. It appears to show the gunmen calling “Allahu Akbar”, meaning “God is the greatest” in Arabic. 
 
 
Witnesses claimed the men entered the offices of the magazine with Kalashnikovs. It has been reported that they asked for individuals by name. 
 
The gunmen are thought to have escaped in a black sedan. The image below appears to show them taking aim at a police vehicle. 
 


(Source: Getty)

 
Vigils are being held in Paris and London tonight, as well as other cities around the world.  
 
The London event was organised for Trafalgar Square at 6pm. A Facebook page described it as a “Peaceful gathering in support of Charlie Hebdo, Freedom of press and peace”. 
 
Attendees were requested to print out posters with the phrase Je Suis Charlie, which become a top trending hashtag on Twitter today as social media users expressed their sadness and support for the editorial team's no-holds barred attitude towards free speech.
 
 
The Parisian event started at 6pm local time in Place de la Republique.  
 
The Facebook page for this vigil said: “Against all forms of hatred , the defense of freedom of expression and peaceful tribute to the memory of the victims will be the only two unique demands of this rally.
 
“We are Charlie and we are united.”
 
Other vigils are being organised in the US and Canada. 
 


(Source: Getty)

Eyewitnesses used Twitter to communicate the events as they unfolded. The tweet below says: "They fired twice the bullets went through the door and window"

Ils ont tiré à deux reprises les balles ont traversé la porte et la fenêtre pic.twitter.com/Jhgi4MBlnp

— yve cresson (@yvecresson) January 7, 2015

'10 dead' as 'men with Kalashnikovs' enter offices of Charlie Hebdo – the French Private Eye-style magazine

— Louise Ridley (@LouiseRidley) January 7, 2015

https://twitter.com/MalikaF24/status/552784738386464769

https://twitter.com/WilliamMolinie/status/552786438602129408

French president Francois Hollande travelled to the scene of the attack, which he condemned as an act of terrorism.  He said: "No barbaric act will never extinguish the freedom of the press . We are a united country"

This map shows the estimated location of Charlie Hebdo's offices in Paris's 11th arrondissement:

Charlie Hebdo has previously published a series of cartoons called “Life of Mohammed”, which resulted in the offices being attacked in 2011. In 2007 it was taken to court for insulting Islam after it republished the infamous Danish cartoons.

This is the last tweet published by the magazine, which went out less than an hour ago (10:28am GMT) 

https://twitter.com/Charlie_Hebdo_/status/552773881283764224

David Cameron has issued a statement condemning the attacks. "The murders in Paris are sickening. We stand with the French people in the fight against terror and defending the freedom of the press."

The murders in Paris are sickening. We stand with the French people in the fight against terror and defending the freedom of the press.

— David Cameron (@David_Cameron) January 7, 2015

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 recovers after oil surge dampens mood; Strikes in the Strait of Hormuz

    Markets
    Donald Trump speaking at a political rally, surrounded by supporters, emphasizing key points in a vibrant, dynamic setting
  • Champions Cup rugby team hacked in ransom attack with player data at risk

    Sport Business
    Rugby player in a pink uniform running with the ball, pursued by an opponent in a black jersey.
  • Clyde and Honour look keys to crack Hackwood

    Sport
    Symbol of Honour representing integrity and excellence in business, featuring prominent award trophy against a sleek backdrop
  • M&S to face shareholder grilling over cyber attack recovery

    Retail
    Marks and Spencer was one of three UK retailers to be targeted
  • Orca Security Report: 99.9% of Fixable AI Vulnerabilities Remain Unpatched as AI Moves Into Production

    Business Wire
  • FTSE 100 firm agrees £5.7bn takeover in latest private equity swoop

    Markets
    GettyImages 2211256637 showing a significant event or figure relevant to recent news updates in the business sector
  • Heathrow overtaken by Istanbul as Europe’s busiest airport

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Commercial airplane landing at Heathrow Airport, seen from behind, with a prominent Heathrow sign below.
  • Citi chief’s cowed Trump comments reveal corporate America’s tightrope

    Banking
    Jane Fraser, Citi CEO, speaking at a podium with a microphone, wearing glasses and a purple top.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook