Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.30
-0.28%
DAX
26,338.61
-0.38%
CAC 40
8,579.60
-0.66%
STOXX 50
6,530.45
-0.14%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 03 February 2015 7:56 pm

Redknapp: I quit QPR but won’t retire

By: Express KCS

Add as a preferred source on Google

FORMER Queens Park Rangers manager Harry Redknapp insists he is not ready to retire from football despite his sudden decision to quit the Premier League strugglers, citing health grounds, yesterday.

His departure saw ex-Tottenham boss Tim Sherwood installed as the bookmakers’ odds-on favourite to succeed him last night, after coach Glenn Hoddle also left the club and fellow staff Les Ferdinand and Chris Ramsey were placed in temporary charge.

Redknapp blamed his exit on an urgent need for knee surgery and dismissed suggestions of a row with chairman Tony Fernandes over a lack of signings in the January transfer window, which closed on Monday.

But the 67-year-old, who was favourite for the England job just three years ago and has admitted he came close to retiring last summer, insists he wants to return after undergoing surgery.

“Sadly I need immediate surgery on my knee which is going to stop me from doing my job in the coming weeks,” the former Spurs, Portsmouth and West Ham manager said in a statement released by the club.

“It means I won’t be able to be out on the training pitch every day, and if I can’t give 100 per cent I feel it’s better for someone else to take over the reins.

“My relationship with Tony Fernandes has been one of the highlights of my footballing career and I wish the club every success. I am confident they will survive in the Premier League this year.”

He added in an interview with Mail Online: “I still don’t think I’m finished with football. When I’ve had the operations, I’ll be looking for work again, I know that. I can’t imagine my life without it.”

Redknapp conceded the timing of his departure would cause suspicion as it came just hours after the transfer window closed without Rangers having signed a single player.

Air Asia chief executive Fernandes, who has previously spent heavily, had warned fans earlier on Monday that there would be no more arrivals, writing on Twitter: “No more chequebook. Bought all the players manager asked for in summer. Given the right motivation, tactics and coaching, we can achieve much more.”

Redknapp left QPR in 19th place in the Premier League, having failed to earn a single point from 11 away games this season.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Life&Style

Categories

  • Sport

Trending Articles

  • Nanochon Receives Regulatory Approval from Panamá’s Ministry of Health to Initiate First-in-Human Clinical Study of Chondrograft™

  • Analysis: What would Todd Boehly and Mark Walter stake sales mean for Chelsea?

  • We take a food and drink Odyssey through the Square Mile

  • Paramount-Warner Bros deal faces ‘sufficient competition’, says CMA

  • Watchdog takes aim at lawyers blaming juniors for AI blunders

More from Morning Wire

  • Vistry angers market with £30m loss as new boss faces turbulent start

    Property
    Vistry Group headquarters building with modern architecture and corporate signage visible in a business district setting
  • Prologis pursuit of Segro descends into silver-haired scrap

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • Ocado founder Steiner set to quit as boss after board coup

    Retail
    Ocado and Openreach lead push against Congestion charge for electric vans
  • Trump regime distances itself from Infantino as under-fire Fifa boss faces calls to quit

    Sport Business
    Gianni Infantino and Donald Trump holding the FIFA World Cup trophy
  • Fifa crisis: Europe, North America and Asia unite to call for Infantino to quit

    Sport Business
    Gianni Infantino, FIFA President, raising both hands, wearing a suit with a World Cup pin.
  • London Lions in EuroLeague franchise bid – but may have to quit Super League Basketball

    Sport Business
    London Lions basketball team in action during a game, showcasing dynamic play and teamwork on the court.
  • Ferdinand, Crouch, Foster: How footballers have built media empires for the future

    Sport Business
    GettyImages 2252823665 might depict an important event or figure related to the latest business news.
  • Reform’s Richard Tice under parliamentary investigation

    Politics
    Reform UK leader Nigel Farage and Deputy Leader Richard Tice are set to meet with Andrew Bailey to discuss interest rates and stablecoins.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook