Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,704.69
-0.22%
DAX
26,113.22
-0.06%
CAC 40
8,540.80
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,472.35
+0.06%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 21 April 2015 3:19 pm

A record number of migrants are dying in the Mediterranean

By: Jessica Morris

Add as a preferred source on Google

This weekend hundreds of migrants died when their boat capsized as they tried to reach the Italian island of Lampedusa.

The United Nations said at least 800 people lost their lives in the sinking – making it the deadliest such incident ever recorded in the Mediterranean. It follows an incident last week in which 400 migrants died.

"April 2015 has seen the highest number of casualties ever recorded in the Mediterranean," the UN High Commission for Refugees (UNCHR) told Morning Wire

The chart shows last year around 3,500 migrants died trying to cross the the Mediterranean Sea. In the four months of this year, more than 1,700 have perished.

This is despite the fact migration season, typically occurring in the warmer summer months, is yet to start.

European officials have come under fire for scaling back the Italian-run search and rescue missions, which they argued were encouraging more people to come to Europe.

"This disaster confirms how urgent it is to restore a robust rescue-at-sea operation and establish credible legal avenues to reach Europe," said António Guterres, the UN's High Commissioner for Refugees.

The criticism comes alongside calls for greater efforts to stabilise countries that migrants are fleeing. For example Eritrea – which a large share come from – has one of the most brutal dictatorships in the world.

And others want policymakers to go after the human traffickers who they say are driving the surge.

But failure to act could mean this is likely to be the worst year for migrant deaths on the Mediterranean.

The International Organisation for Migration (IOM) added today that it believes deaths so far in 2015 are 30 times higher than this time last year, when just 56 deaths of migrants had been reported.

"IOM now fears the 2014 total of 3,279 migrant [deaths] on the Mediterranean may be surpassed this year in a matter of weeks, and could well top 30,000 by the end of the year, based on the current death toll. It could actually be even higher," Joel Millman, a spokesman for IOM, said.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • EU migrant crisis

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

More from Morning Wire

  • Astrazeneca and Jaguar Land Rover given power to endorse talented migrants for visas

    Politics
    Jonathan Reynolds addressing the SMMT's annual International Automotive Summit (image courtesy of SMMT)
  • Modon Holding and Nammos Hotels & Resorts Bring Nammos Ras El Hekma to Egypt’s North Coast

    Business Wire
  • Investor visa proposed by Labour-aligned think tank

    Politics
    Skyline of Canada with iconic financial district buildings, highlighting UK investments and economic growth.
  • Jamie’s Italian is awful but don’t worry, there are some great new Mediterranean restaurants too

    Life&Style
    Elegant bancone setup in a modern business environment with stylish decor and lighting, highlighting contemporary design e...
  • The Summer Slowdown can become a thing of the past

    Partner
    Four colleagues on a sunny rooftop terrace, enjoying drinks and conversation with city buildings in the background.
  • Banning vape shops won’t fix scuzzy high streets

    Opinion
    High street vape shop Ecigwizard next to Costa Coffee and Subway, with people walking and sitting outside.
  • Vodafone defends migrant SIM scheme after Reform threat

    Telecoms
    Zia Yusuf at a business event, wearing a suit and tie, delivering a keynote speech in a modern conference setting
  • Here we go again: The best roof terrace for yet another heatwave

    Life&Style
    Madison rooftop bar, overlooking St Pauls Cathedral.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook