Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
-0.80%
CAC 40
8,509.36
-0.82%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
-0.95%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 02 June 2015 12:49 pm

Sepp Blatter resigns as president of Fifa

By: Emma Haslett

Add as a preferred source on Google

Fifa boss Sepp Blatter resigned from his presidency of the organisation, after weeks of accusations in the run-up and following his re-election as president. 

Read more: Blatter's Fifa reign is four times longer than the average FTSE boss

In a last-minute press conference called this afternoon, Blatter said the organisation "needs a profound restructuring", and added that he will call an extraordinary congress to elect a new president as soon as possible. 

Blatter cut a humble figure as he addressed a sparsely-populated room.

"I have thoroughly considered my presidency and about the last 40 years in my life," he said. "These years were closely related to Fifa and this wonderful sport of football. I appreciate and love Fifa more than anything else."

"I decided to stand again to be elected [last week] because I was convinced it was the best option for football. The elections closed but the challenges Fifa is facing have not come to an end." 

"I will not stand [at the extraordinary congress]. I am now free from the constraints of election. I will be in a position to focus on implementing ambitious reforms."

Read more: Fifa's crisis shows the need for individual, rather than cultural, change

But Blatter's resignation is the culmination of weeks of accusations which have drawn in some of the UK's largest banks, as well as World Cup sponsors, the UK's Serious Fraud Office (SFO) and the US Department of Justice (DoJ). 

The organisation's decision to award Qatar the World Cup in 2022 was at first questioned, then heavily criticised when it emerged workers on the project were being mistreated, then the subject of a fraud investigation after six Fifa officials were arrested following an investigation by the DoJ. Sponsors including Visa and McDonald's voiced their concerns, threatening to pull their sponsorship of the organisation. 

But despite calls to step down, Blatter stood for re-election last week, winning presidency for the fifth time after securing 133 of the 209 member association votes. 

Earlier today, a letter dated March 2008 from the South African Football Association emerged, which appeared to request a $10m payment from Fifa was withheld from World Cup funds and instead paid into an account controlled by disgraced former vice president Jack Warner. The letter was addressed to Fifa secretary general Jerome Valcke.

Yesterday the UK's secretary of state for culture, media and sport, John Whittingdale, waded in, echoing comments by Prime Minister David Cameron by saying "what remained of Sepp Blatter's credibility has been utterly destroyed". 
[infographic id="136"]

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Life&Style

Categories

  • Sport

Related Topics

  • Fifa crisis

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Norwegian FA chief Klaveness cools Fifa election talk and takes swipe at Blatter

    Sport Business
    A smiling woman and a man in a suit holding a red, white, and blue soccer jersey with the Norway emblem.
  • Uefa blocks Fifa’s World Cup sell-off if it stands up to Infantino again

    Sport Business
    Close-up of a blue and red UEFA logo on a sports equipment handle against a blurred blue background
  • Motsepe backed to succeed Fifa’s Infantino by South African minister

    Sport Business
    GettyImages 2282672294 depicts a significant event related to the articles context, showcasing key elements and atmosphere.
  • Infantino crisis shows football needs independent non-exec, says ex-Fifa advisor

    Sport Business
    Three people view the FIFA sign and official name in front of a green soccer field.
  • Uefa blasts Fifa over Infantino plan to ‘sell football’s soul’ for $4bn

    Sport Business
    Gianni Infantino holding the FIFA World Cup trophy while speaking at a podium.
  • Gianni Infantino: Democrats ask to quiz Fifa boss over Trump ‘corruption’ allegations

    Sport Business
    Donald Trump and FIFA President Gianni Infantino smiling, looking upwards during an event.
  • Burnham says Infantino ‘wrong man’ to lead Fifa as Brits back World Cup boycott plans

    Sport Business
    Andy Burnham speaking at a podium with microphones, gesturing with his hands, crowd in background
  • Fifa won’t fix itself – scrap it now and set up a World FA, led by Uefa and South America

    Sport Business
    Reflective FIFA logo sign on a white wall, with green trees mirrored in the letters, under natural light.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook