Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.30
-0.28%
DAX
26,338.61
-0.38%
CAC 40
8,579.60
-0.66%
STOXX 50
6,530.45
-0.14%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 10 June 2015 5:28 am

Fifa crisis: World Cup 2026 bidding process suspended, says general secretary Jerome Valcke

By: Joe Hall

Add as a preferred source on Google

Fifa has suspended the bidding process for the 2026 World Cup, according to secretary general Jerome Valcke.

The bidding process for the 2026 tournament which is due to be awarded at the 2017 Fifa Congress in Kuala Lumpur, will now be postponed as Fifa wrestles with the fallout of the US Department of Justice investigation into its alleged corruption and president Sepp Blatter's resignation.

Valcke gave no indication of when the bidding process, originally supposed to start next year, would officially begin.

Canada, Mexico and Colombia have all announced their intention to bid for the 2026 event, while the USA, England and Australia may also make renewed attempts after missing out in 2018 and 2022.

Read more: Cameron to bring Fifa corruption into centre stage at G7 summit

Valcke was speaking at a press conference for the 2018 World Cup in Russia which, like the 2022 tournament in Qatar, has come under scrutiny for the way it was won amidst allegations of kickbacks for votes.

The DoJ confirmed it was looking at the bidding process for the two tournaments last week as part of its investigation into Fifa. Both countries maintain they have done nothing wrong.

At today's press conference Russian prime minister Vitaly Mutko said his bid was in line with the law and that there was no threat of the country being stripped of the tournament.

Update: Fifa issued the following statement on the matter this morning

It was decided to place the administrative process on hold for the 2026 FIFA World Cup™ bidding due to the current situation.
 
Further decisions regarding the 2026 FIFA World Cup bidding process will discussed by the FIFA Executive Committee at a later date.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Life&Style

Categories

  • Sport

Related Topics

  • Fifa crisis

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Gianni Infantino: Democrats ask to quiz Fifa boss over Trump ‘corruption’ allegations

    Sport Business
    Donald Trump and FIFA President Gianni Infantino smiling, looking upwards during an event.
  • Calls for Argentina to be banned from World Cup over Falklands banner

    Sport Business
    Business professionals engaged in a collaborative meeting at a conference room discussing strategic growth opportunities
  • Mexico breaks ranks and dents Uefa-led bid to oust embattled Fifa kingpin Infantino

    Sport Business
    Gianni Infantino, FIFA President, smiling as golden confetti falls around him
  • Uefa blasts Fifa over Infantino plan to ‘sell football’s soul’ for $4bn

    Sport Business
    Gianni Infantino holding the FIFA World Cup trophy while speaking at a podium.
  • Meet the top lawyer challenging Gianni Infantino’s Fifa power play

    Law
    Gianni Infantino, FIFA President, waves to a crowd with a blue and gold patterned background
  • Trump and Infantino: The venomous relationship between sport and politics

    Sport Business
    GettyImages 2250174638 likely features a relevant business scene or newsworthy event, fitting for a general news article c...
  • Why Fifa World Cup players are drowning in commercial red tape

    Sport Business
    GettyImages 2285251650: Business meeting with diverse professionals discussing innovative strategies in a modern office se...
  • Fifa refuses to back down on World Cup sell-off in face of European boycott

    Sport Business
    Gianni Infantino smiling and giving a thumbs up, wearing a suit against a blue and white background.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook