Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,722.17
-0.20%
DAX
26,001.62
-0.34%
CAC 40
8,505.26
+0.04%
STOXX 50
6,444.16
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 18 June 2015 9:05 pm

Dragon Oil shareholders breathing fire over £3.7bn ENOC takeover bid

By: Express KCS

Add as a preferred source on Google

Dragon Oil was at the centre of a shareholder showdown yesterday, over whether to accept a £3.7bn takeover offer from Emirates National Oil Company (ENOC).
 
But LGM Investments told Morning Wire that it disagreed with Baillie Gifford’s plans to reject the improved 750p per share bid for the Turkmenistan-focused oil producer.  
 
“We think this is a fair offer, bearing in mind the depressed oil price and uncertainties in the market,” said Thomas Vester, chief investment officer at LGM, which holds a minority stake in Dragon Oil. “We want to accept the proposal.”
 
The feud was fired up earlier in the day by the largest minority shareholder, Baillie Gifford, which said it would not accept the offer as it materially undervalued the company. 
 
Dragon Oil’s board had approved the bid – which is at the higher end of analysts’ valuations – on Wednesday, causing its share price to soar to a record high of 734p.
 
State-owned Dubai oil company ENOC already owns 53.9 per cent of Dragon Oil. It needs a further 23 per cent to go ahead with its plans to delist from the Irish and London stock exchanges. It could do this without the consent of Baillie Gifford, who owns 7.2 per cent, as long as the other shareholders agree. 
 
“We are confident that our recommended offer of 750p is full and fair,” said ENOC.
 
Dragon Oil declined to comment on the shareholder dispute.
 
ENOC made an offer of 650p per share in March, which it raised to 735p per share in May. It also made a rebuffed offer back in 2009. 
 
Dragon Oil’s shares closed 0.8 per cent lower at 722.50p yesterday.
 
 

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Markets & Economics

Categories

  • Markets

Related Topics

  • Dragon Oil

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

More from Morning Wire

  • As it happened: Stocks slip as oil hits $100 following Houthi attacks on tankers

    Markets
    FTSE 100 stocks rise as Brent crude oil prices jump 1.8% to $104.98 amid Strait of Hormuz tensions and Trumps Iran stance
  • Shareholder backlash pushes up low-ball London takeover bids

    Markets
    Over 100 major London-listed companies, including Fevertree Drinks and YouGov, have written to the Chancellor warning that the uncertainty surrounding the future of a key tax relief tied to London’s junior stock market is battering investor confidence. 
  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers ups stake in Hugo Boss as takeover pressure mounts

    Retail
    Mike Ashley in a business suit at a corporate event, discussing strategic plans, surrounded by executives and media personnel
  • Easyjet board reaches agreement over £5.2bn Castlelake takeover

    Markets
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers ups stake in Hugo Boss after takeover bid

    Retail
    Mike Ashley in a business suit at a corporate event, discussing strategic plans, surrounded by executives and media personnel
  • As it happened: Stocks rise; oil falls after Trump pauses Iran strikes

    Markets
    Donald Trump holding a red TRUMP 2028 hat, wearing a tuxedo with an American flag in the background
  • Vodafone shares jump as French telecoms tycoon becomes top shareholder

    Telecoms
    Vodafone Group has announced the appointment of Microsoft's Pilar López as its new chief financial officer.
  • As it happened: Oil prices tumble as Bessent says US-Iran deal imminent; miner stocks rally

    Markets
    Scott Bessent, a man with gray hair and glasses, wearing a blue suit and striped tie, looking to the side.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook