Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 12 August 2015 3:15 pm

August 2015 TfL Tube strike: Night Tube to miss 12 September launch date

By: Catherine Neilan

Add as a preferred source on Google

The Night Tube is being delayed until after its 12 September launch date as unions continue to threaten strike action. 
 
Sources have told City A.M that London Underground is poised to announce the 24-hour service will miss its start-point next month. 
 
A TfL spokesman said there was "no change to our position", which was that London Underground was "working towards the 12 September" as a launch date. But he acknowledged that it hinged on striking an agreement with the unions, which have so far rejected all deals put to them. 
 
"We are operationally ready, but the launch can't be at any cost," he told Morning Wire "We need to get a deal. That is why we have caveated that it can't be at any cost."
 
The 24-hour service has been at the centre of union disputes for the last few weeks, with a third set of strikes scheduled for a fortnight's time. 
 
RMT has even gone so far as to call for the Night Tube to be suspended, blasting it as “a vanity project”.
 
There has been a question mark hanging over whether the new service would be ready to launch in time for the deadline, fuelled by mayor Boris Johnson's refusal to commit to the date. On at least two occasions, Johnson has said he was “not too fussed about the start date”. 
 
“I've said we will get it in this autumn, and we shall,” he said last week. “Autumn is not yet upon us… it's still the summer.”
 
In fact, the launch was so widely expected to be delayed that bookmakers Ladbrokes said it was evens that it would meet the date. 
 
It is not clear whether the delay will affect the impending Tube strike. RMT and TSSA have scheduled two sets of action, on 25 August and 27 August. 
 
Drivers' union Aslef is meeting with TfL bosses later this week in an attempt to find a compromise without striking. Currently Tube drivers are not taking part in the action. 
 
Leader of the London Assembly Labour group Len Duvall said: “By speculatively announcing a start date without any consultation with the people expected to run the service Boris Johnson’s gung-ho approach has led to disputes, disruption and now delay.
 
“It’s been clear for a long time that the problems facing the night tube would not be easily overcome so in a sense a delay isn’t a major surprise. I hope this delay will provide the breathing space necessary for unions and management to sit down and negotiate a resolution to this dispute without the need for further disruption to passengers.
 
“From the outset Boris Johnson has treated the Night Tube as more of a publicity stunt despite it being a deeply complex project.”

 

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • Night Tube
  • Transport for London

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Which is the smelliest Tube line?

    Opinion
    Passenger wearing a blue surgical mask and coat on a London Underground train.
  • Point2 Completes $136M Series B Funding with Arm, LB Investment, and Maverick Silicon

    Business Wire
  • e.l.f. Cosmetics Answers Community Demand with the Return of Pickle-Inspired Glow Reviver Melting Lip Balms

    Business Wire
  • TfL greenlights Wayve’s autonomous vehicles in the City

    Tech
    Wayve autonomous vehicle navigating a busy London street with iconic cityscape in the background
  • The BBC shouldn’t push Londoners to accept antisocial phone behaviour 

    Opinion
    Passengers inside a graffiti-covered London Underground train car, some looking at phones, others observing the interior.
  • Football finance experts urge caution over Premier League + price promotion

    Sport Business
    Premier League trophy on display at a stadium with spectators in the background
  • Humble Grape is a wine bar like no other: Here’s its origin story

    Toast the City
    Exterior view of Humble Grape Bow Lane showcasing its inviting entrance and rustic charm on a bustling London street.
  • Options Announces the Availability of Kimi K3 on Its PrivateMind Platform At No Additional Cost to Existing Customers

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook