Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 31 December 2015 8:54 am

Government finally responds to petition calling for Donald Trump to be banned from entering the UK

By: Catherine Neilan

Add as a preferred source on Google

The government has finally responded to the growing number of people who signed a petition calling for Donald Trump to be banned from the UK, acknowledging the "strength of feeling" the Presidential hopeful has caused. 

More than 560,000 people have signed the petition asking for Trump, who is currently vying for the Republican candidacy ahead of next year's US elections, to be barred from entering the country after he claimed parts of the UK were "no go areas" for non-Muslims. 

Earlier this month David Cameron said the comments were "divisive, unhelpful and quite simply wrong". He was not the only official to blast the billionaire for his words.

However it is only now that the government has specifically addressed the issue of the petition – and in a way that suggests, while Trump won't be banned any time soon, the door could still be open to that happening. 

"The home secretary [Theresa May] has said that coming to the UK is a privilege and not a right and she will continue to use the powers available to prevent from entering the UK those who seek to harm our society and who do not share our basic values.

"Exclusion powers are very serious and are not used lightly. The home secretary will use these powers when justified and based on all available evidence… The government recognises the strength of feeling against the remarks and will continue to speak out against comments which have the potential to divide our communities, regardless of who makes them.

"We reject any attempts to create division and marginalisation amongst those we endeavour to protect."

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Five-star Mayfair hotel hit with HMRC winding-up petition

    Hospitality
    Exterior of The Stafford London hotel, a brick building with British and American flags, elegant windows, and ornate raili...
  • AIM-Listed Pulsar Group hit with High Court petition by HMRC

    Media
    HMRC overcharged pensioners thousands
  • Donald Trump is creeping towards a shrewd sanctions policy

    Opinion
    Donald Trump holding a red TRUMP 2028 hat, wearing a tuxedo with an American flag in the background
  • Exclusive: Twickenham residents branded anti-fun NIMBYs in rugby stadium row

    Sport Business
    Rugby stadium interior with large screen displaying Red Roses v Ireland, goalposts, and empty green seats
  • As it happened: FTSE 100 mixed; oil breaks $91 as Trump rules out new US-Iran ceasefire

    FTSE 100 Live
    Donald Trump speaking emphatically at a podium, wearing a navy suit and blue tie, with a microphone and lights visible.
  • As it happened: UK stocks cool after Astrazeneca drags; Trump and Iran clash over peace talks

    FTSE 100 Live
    Donald Trump speaking at a desk, gesturing with hands, wearing a dark suit and red tie.
  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

    FTSE 100 Live
    Donald Trump speaking at a podium, microphone visible, discussing the Strait of Hormuz
  • Trump speaks up for Infantino at last as Fifa boss fights world football rebellion

    Sport Business
    Donald Trump in a white USA hat, blue suit, and white shirt, making a fist, with a presidential seal visible
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook