Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.30
-0.28%
DAX
26,338.61
-0.38%
CAC 40
8,579.60
-0.66%
STOXX 50
6,530.45
-0.14%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 01 June 2016 6:48 pm

Reject Sorrell’s £70m pay, Pirc tells WPP shareholders

By: Lynsey Barber

Add as a preferred source on Google

An influential shareholder group has called on investors to reject the £70m pay packet of WPP chief executive Sir Martin Sorrell.

Shareholders have been advised to oppose the pay of the highest paid boss of any FTSE firm, which was dubbed "excessive", by the investor advisory body Pirc.

WPP, which owns advertising agency JWT and Ogilvy & Mather, is due to hold its annual shareholder meeting a week from today on 8 June.

Read more: Revenue jumps at Martin Sorrell's WPP

Pirc said on Wednesday that Sorrell's variable pay was 58 times his £1.2m salary, far exceeding Pirc's advised ratio of 200 per cent of base salary, while the pay ratio compared to the average employee was "highly excessive at 196:1".

It notes that Sorrell's pay over the last five years rose 56 per cent and while the company has performed well, it is out of line with total shareholder returns (TSR) which rose 28.8 per cent on average over the same time. The report said the pay award based on one metric – TSR – was "not appropriate".

"The shares already held should provide him with substantial alignment with shareholders and incentive to perform. The issue for the company is not his retention, it is his succession and replacement," said Pirc, echoing previous concerns raised about succession planning for the 71-year-old's departure.

The group also called on shareholders to oppose the re-election of Roberto Quarta as chairman of the group and the re-appointment of Deloitte as auditor after more than 10 years, indicating that the latter should be regularly rotated.

Read more: Martin Sorrell's £70m: The defence (and not just from Sorrell and WPP)

As chair of Smith & Nephew in addition to WPP, it concluded that Quarta "cannot effectively represent two corporate cultures" while raising further concerns over his position on the remuneration committee.

The call from Pirc follows a similar call by ShareSoc for shareholders to reject the pay.

Sorrell landed the backing of another influential investor group in March, however. Institutional Shareholder Services (ISS) said the multimillion pound pay out is related to performance, with the company noting it had "outperformed its global peers".

Sorrell has previously defended his pay, saying he made "no apologies" for building a successful company.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • WPP slashes jobs as revenue continues to fall

    Media
    WPP has had a difficult start to the year.
  • Shipbroker shares fly on Iran war windfall

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Aerial view of a large container ship moving through deep blue ocean waters, leaving a white wake.
  • JD assembles Ikea chair after rocky period for retailer

    Retail
    Peter Agnefjäll, former IKEA CEO, in a suit, headshot
  • Tate & Lyle faces shareholder revolt over executive pay

    Retail
    Tate & Lyle logo, a global food ingredients supplier, on a corporate building.
  • Hugo Boss urges investors to reject £1.7bn bid from Mike Ashley’s Frasers

    Retail
    Mike Ashley in a business suit at a corporate event, discussing strategic plans, surrounded by executives and media personnel
  • Aspire’s David Collyer: my curry catastrophe at the Cinnamon Club

    Opinion
    David Collyer, CEO of Swissport, sitting in a black leather chair with a brown travel bag beside him.
  • Plus500 splashes cash on investors after US expansion bears fruit

    Fintech
    Plus500 branding on a large Jumbotron scoreboard at a US sports arena, displaying game stats.
  • Shareholder backlash pushes up low-ball London takeover bids

    Markets
    Over 100 major London-listed companies, including Fevertree Drinks and YouGov, have written to the Chancellor warning that the uncertainty surrounding the future of a key tax relief tied to London’s junior stock market is battering investor confidence. 
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook