Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,743.35
+0.14%
DAX
26,091.33
-0.14%
CAC 40
8,501.91
-0.09%
STOXX 50
6,444.46
-0.37%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 08 June 2016 9:12 am

How The Beatles sent Terra Firma’s Guy Hands back to court to confront Citigroup

By: Hayley Kirton

Add as a preferred source on Google

Those who have been walking by the Strand recently may have spotted a familiar face, as Guy Hands and his legal team have returned to court for the latest phase in the legal battle over his ill-fated EMI deal. 

Hands is suing Citigroup for £1.5bn worth of damages in the High Court over Terra Firma's – the private equity firm he founded – failed takeover of the music group on the grounds that the bank misled him into overpaying for the company.

Terra Firma purchased EMI for £2.4bn in 2007 but the music company's performance quickly turned south and Citigroup eventually stepped in and took control of EMI in 2011.

Bloomberg reported that Hands told the court today that the failed takeover left him personally €200m (£156.6m) out of pocket, and destroyed his reputation along with his aspirations to turn Terra Firma into a mega firm.

"It’s not so much the disaster, because lots of firms had disasters at that time, it’s the continuation of the EMI story that has ended that aspiration," he is reported as saying. "What other firms did was bury them and move on. What has caused our particular problem is the fact that we haven’t moved on, for good reasons."

Read more: Hands is now chairman, CIO and interim CEO of Terra Firma

Citigroup denies Hands' allegations and a spokesperson told Reuters that his case is "entirely without merit".

"Citi did not make any dishonest statements to Guy Hands or Terra Firma throughout the auction process for EMI and is confident the UK trial will confirm this," the spokesperson continued. 

Read more: Guy Hands: Russia is the only winner of Brexit

However, the lawyer representing Terra Firma is arguing that the banking giant misled Hands into believing there was another bidder in the purchasing process, therefore leading him to put in an offer much higher than he otherwise would have done. 

Hands has previously tried to sue Citigroup over the same issue in the US. Although the jury found in favour of Citi, the verdict was overturned on a technicality at a later date.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Legal

Related Topics

  • M&A

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

More from Morning Wire

  • Prince Harry defeated in phone hacking legal battle against Daily Mail publisher

    Lawsuit
    Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (Photo by Yui Mok - WPA Pool/Getty Images)
  • Former Southern Water boss charged with conspiracy to defraud

    Law
    Southern Water safety sign on a chain link fence, detailing required PPE like hard hats and safety boots.
  • Gatwick expansion green-lit as court throws out activists’ appeal

    Transport & Infrastructure
    20m passengers have flown through Gatwick this year
  • Crown Prosecution Service caught using AI hallucination evidence

    AI
    Chicago Public Schools building exterior with students entering, reflecting urban education theme in a news article context.
  • Luton Airport expansion set for take-off after environmental challenge dismissed

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Luton Airport aerial view with planes, runways, and terminal buildings, highlighting busy travel hub operations
  • Music tycoon Simon Cowell sued by prominent City lawyer

    Lawsuit
    Simon Cowell smiling brightly during a press event, dressed in a classic tailored suit, showcasing his signature confident...
  • AIM-Listed Pulsar Group hit with High Court petition by HMRC

    Media
    HMRC overcharged pensioners thousands
  • Lammy’s cohabitation rules threaten unmarried couples with ‘horrendous’ court costs

    Legal
    Foreign Secretary David Lammy is set to hold talks with officials about Iran and Israel.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook