Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,748.16
+0.04%
DAX
25,983.04
-0.42%
CAC 40
8,453.09
-0.57%
STOXX 50
6,422.06
-0.35%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 27 July 2016 12:42 am

Fancy a top up? AB InBev raises its bid for SABMiller as plunging pound hits Megabrew deal

By: Shruti Tripathi

Add as a preferred source on Google

The Megabrew deal has got even frothier after beer giant AB InBev raised its offer for rival brewer SABMiller. The move reflects a fall in the pound after last month’s Brexit vote made the original offer less attractive to some SABMiller investors.

The new offer is an increase of £1 per share on the £44 originally proposed. The sweetened deal now values SABMiller at around £79bn, up from £70bn previously.

But SABMiller shareholder Aberdeen Asset Management immediately poured cold water on the improved offer, calling it “unacceptable” and maintaining that it undervalues the company while continuing to favour SABMiller’s two major investors.

SABMiller, maker of Pilsner Urquell, said it would now consult with shareholders and that “a further announcement will be made thereafter”.

Read more: An extra pound a pint? Aberdeen's not impressed by new Megabrew offer

The deal to create the world’s largest beer firm is expected go to a shareholder vote after it has cleared its last major anti-trust hurdle, in China. That could come later this year.

AB InBev’s arm was twisted to improve the offer by a band of activist investors who bought small stakes in SABMiller. The activists, US hedge fund Elliott Advisors, The Children’s Investment Fund and Sandell Asset Management, argued the fall in sterling reduced the value of their stake in the deal.

The way in which the deal is structured means that investors can receive either a cash component or a share of the new company. This agreement was designed specifically for SABMiller’s two biggest shareholders Altria and Bevco, who wanted to keep a stake in the new company.

SABMiller said the two brewing firms had discussed the deal last week “in light of recent exchange rate volatility and market movements”.

Read more: Revenues up at SABMiller as it inches closer to completion on Megabrew deal

AB InBev, which also counts Stella Artois and Corona among its brands, said this latest offer was final.

The new offer represents a premium of approximately 53 per cent on SABMiller’s closing share price of £29.34 on 14 September 2015, the last day of trading before speculation about the merger caused shares to rocket.

“The latest £45 a share offer from AB Inbev was to be expected given the current depreciation in sterling post Brexit. With the disposal of SAB’s European operations along with its stake in MillerCoors and CR Snow JV the debt fears arising from the deal should be alleviated. The only regulatory review outstanding is approval from China and thus the merger to create this brewing behemoth would now seem a foregone conclusion,” said Andrea Williams, senior fund manager at Royal London Asset Management, an AB InBev investor.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

More from Morning Wire

  • ‘Cheers to Beer’ Celebrates the Drink at the Heart of Life’s Meaningful Moments

    Business Wire
  • New Oxford Economics Study Shows the Social and Economic Impact of Bars

    Business Wire
  • AB InBev Reports Second Quarter 2026 Results

    Business Wire
  • World Cup sponsors could pay price if Infantino’s Fifa sell-off goes ahead

    Sport Business
    Person holding a red FIFA World Cup branded cup and a smartphone, wearing a white shirt and watch
  • Prologis ramps up pressure on FTSE 100 property giant Segro

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • FTSE 100 firm agrees £5.7bn takeover in latest private equity swoop

    Markets
    GettyImages 2211256637 showing a significant event or figure relevant to recent news updates in the business sector
  • Easyjet proves too tempting a bargain for gatecrasher Apollo

    Analysis
    EasyJet aircraft parked at the airport terminal ready for boarding, featuring distinctive orange branding and clear blue sky.
  • Easyjet agrees to £5.7bn Apollo takeover

    Aviation
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook