Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,748.16
+0.04%
DAX
25,983.04
0.00%
CAC 40
8,453.09
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,422.06
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Morning Wire’s journalism is supported by our readers. .
Wednesday 27 July 2016 6:21 pm

Auto-enrolment contribution rates are far too low says Webb

By: Oliver Gill

Add as a preferred source on Google

Former pensions minister Steve Webb demanded that more needs to be done to encourage saving for retirement after the latest auto-enrolment data was released today.

Four years after the Pension Regulator introduced the initiative, six million people – or 66 per cent of the working population – have now signed up for the workplace pension. But the concern is that contribution rates of those that have signed up are too low to give people a sufficient income stream during their retirement.

Read more: Here are the pension pickles the new minister will face

“Given that the firms who have so far taken part in automatic enrolment are the largest employers, the average [employer] contribution rate of just three per cent is particularly disappointing,” said Steve Webb of Royal London Asset Management.

Under the current regime, the minimum employer contribution is one per cent of pay with employees needing to match this. This is scheduled to step up to three per cent and two per cent respectively in 2018, and increase to five per cent and three per cent by 2019.

Webb said that the 2019 minimum levels should be brought in now. He estimated that people the amount actually required to fund the retirement of an average person is double these levels.

However, he admitted that forcing employers and employees to contribute such percentages would be self-defeating. It would mean an unsustainable reduction in take-home salaries and employees would simply opt-out of the regime.

Instead Webb advocated changing to levels pencilled in for 2019, and forcing people to ratchet up contributions as they received pay rises through their working life.

“The 2017 automatic enrolment review needs to consider how we get combined employer and employee contributions up to a realistic level as a matter of urgency. Without this, millions of today’s workers will simply find that they cannot afford to retire,” he said.

Read more: Auto-enrolment is getting more UK workers saving for the future

With the deadline for employers of 50 people or more having passed in April 2015, most of the larger employers are signed up. Next on the phasing-in process are “small” and “micro” businesses. These represent a long tail and ensuring compliance is likely to be a challenge according to Catherine Pinkney of Paycircle.

“This latest report by The Pensions Regulator has a fair bit of chest thumping about it, but the reality is that we have yet to enter the business end of auto-enrolment. The biggest challenge for workplace pensions was always going to be the smallest businesses, those with as little as one employee. And on that front, it's still very early days,” she said.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Jobs and Money

Categories

  • Money
  • Personal Finance

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Pensioners hit with £8bn tax bill after government freezes allowances

    Personal Finance
    City economists have warned that the triple lock pension is unsustainable and unaffordable given the state of the UK's public finances.
  • IHT pension scramble shows ‘no sign of slowing down’, says Royal London boss 

    Investing
    Royal London shared £181mn with its 2.3m customers in April
  • Pension funds pledged a private investment splurge. Three years on, has anything changed?

    Markets
    Mansion House meeting of pension fund leaders discussing investment strategies and financial accords in a grand boardroom ...
  • L&G cheers push into private credit as profit jumps

    Markets
    Legal & General is reported to be eying Natwest's pension provider.
  • London Stock Exchange boss: We should know which companies our pensions are backing

    Markets
    Julia Hoggett and Rachel Reeves with other women leaders at a financial event, discussing pension industry overhaul.
  • Industry chief warns ‘resilience not enough’ for growth

    Economics
    Shevaun Haviland, British Chambers of Commerce boss, speaking at a business event, emphasizing economic growth strategies
  • The pensions triple lock is a travesty. Our politicians must fess up

    Opinion
    Young people face the risk of failing to save enough in their pension
  • Royal London hits assets record amid pension push

    Investing
    Royal London shared £181mn with its 2.3m customers in April
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook