Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,763.98
+0.13%
DAX
26,437.14
-0.01%
CAC 40
8,625.79
-0.13%
STOXX 50
6,554.27
+0.22%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 23 August 2016 2:46 pm

RMT announces new strike dates on Southern Rail

By: James Nickerson and Oliver Gill

Add as a preferred source on Google

The RMT has announced that further strikes will take place on 7 and 8 September as part of their long-running dispute with Southern Rail.

General secretary of the RMT Mick Cash said:

This action has been forced on us by the arrogance and inaction of the Govia Thameslink and the government who have made it clear that they have no interest in resolving this dispute or in tackling the daily chaos on Southern.

Instead they have begun the process of bulldozing through the drive towards wholesale driver only operation without agreement and without any concern for the impact on safety, security and disability access.

Our fight is with the company and the government who have dragged this franchise into total meltdown. We share the anger and frustration of passengers.

Talks between Southern and the RMT broke down last week. An Acas spokesperson said: "Acas conciliation talks have ended without the sides reaching agreement. There are no further talks planned but our services remain available."

Read more: It's high time Southern Rail got its act together

Southern passenger service director Alex Foulds said today: “Passengers and staff will once again be appalled by the RMT’s decision to hold yet another strike. We are moving forward with our plans for the benefit of customers after nine months of fruitless attempts to reach an agreement.

“This action is unnecessary, unjustified and futile – we have guaranteed all our onboard staff a job until the end of the franchise, as valued members of our future operation, with no reduction in salary.

“And claims that safety is at risk are just untrue. The independent rail safety body has said so, and nearly half our trains run without conductors already.”

The news comes after a strike by the RMT on a number of lines earlier this month, including on Southern.

The decision by Southern to transfer control of doors to the driver – a concept familiar to millions of London Underground commuters – triggered the long-running dispute, which has seen staff sickness levels soar. Controversially, only 393 guards were balloted on the strike action.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Trending Articles

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • FTSE 100 Live: Stocks rise as Trump threatens to declare Strait of Hormuz as US territory

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

More from Morning Wire

  • Former Southern Water boss charged with conspiracy to defraud

    Law
    Southern Water safety sign on a chain link fence, detailing required PPE like hard hats and safety boots.
  • Would a Burnham premiership deepen the North-South housing divide?

    Property
    Andy Burnham returns to Parliament
  • The Debate: Should Britain set up a No 10 North?

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham supporters rallying with banners and signs at a political event, showcasing enthusiasm and solidarity
  • AM Best Upgrades Fortegra Insurance Subsidiaries to A (Excellent)

    Business Wire
  • Andy Burnham should show London he cares by funding this one transport project

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, standing outside 10 Downing Street in a suit and tie.
  • Apple gears up for fresh legal fight with government

    Lawsuit
    Apple unveils new products at recent event showcasing innovative technology and sleek design to global audience
  • As it happened: Stocks rises as oil eases but Strait of Hormuz concerns ramp up

    Markets
    Aerial view of ships navigating the strategic Strait of Hormuz, highlighting its importance to global maritime trade routes
  • Exclusive: Rugby World Champions Cup set to be mothballed

    Sport Business
    GettyImages 2277832417
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook