Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.61
-0.21%
DAX
25,946.75
-0.55%
CAC 40
8,484.97
-0.20%
STOXX 50
6,430.05
-0.22%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 01 September 2016 5:40 pm

An embarrassment, a bailout and a failing franchise: Politicians blast Southern’s £20m funding deal

By: Mark Sands

Add as a preferred source on Google

Politicians from City Hall, the House of Commons and the House of Lords have blasted £20m of new funding for Southern Rail, announced earlier today.

The Department for Transport (DfT) revealed the cash as part of a package of measures to improve performance on the lines.

It will also see the appointment of a new project board to collaborate with the DfT and Network Rail to oversee rapid improvement.

However, London mayor Sadiq Khan has been among those to slam the move.

Khan – who has called for Transport for London to take over the operation of the lines – said performance had been an “embarrassment” to London.

"That's why I offered to send in my top TfL team to make sure that the line is run far better. So I'm disappointed that the Government has declined this offer and that a further £20m of taxpayers' money is being spent, especially given that TfL is going to be taking over part of the line in the future,” he said.

Read More: Southern Rail restores 119 services of the 341 cancelled in July

And his Labour colleague, shadow transport secretary Andy McDonald added it was clear the Southern franchise is failing.

“Passengers are enduring the worst delays in the country, fares are up 25 per cent and it is not clear how this investment will tackle the underlining failing on the network,” McDonald said.

Baroness Jenny Randerson, Liberal Democrat Transport spokesman was similarly biting, saying: “The Government has finally acknowledged the mess that Southern is in, but this bailout will do little to appease passengers when the money is left largely in the hands of a failing franchise that has proved to be untrustworthy.”

It comes after Streatham MP Chuka Umunna earlier waded in, saying the investment "beggars belief".

Announcing the plans earlier today, the DfT said that monet would be split between projects to accelerate repairs, and hire new staff at some stations.

[infographic id="883"]

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Politics
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

More from Morning Wire

  • Andy Burnham should show London he cares by funding this one transport project

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, standing outside 10 Downing Street in a suit and tie.
  • No air conditioning on the Tube? Blame Sadiq Khan

    Opinion
    Crowded London Underground platform during summer heat wave, passengers fanning themselves to stay cool
  • Luton Airport expansion set for take-off after environmental challenge dismissed

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Luton Airport aerial view with planes, runways, and terminal buildings, highlighting busy travel hub operations
  • Tory and Labour councillors spar over £300m Hammersmith Bridge plans

    Politics
    Hammersmith Bridge spanning the River Thames, surrounded by lush greenery and clear blue skies, capturing its iconic archi...
  • Politicians call for easing of private school stranglehold on elite rugby

    Sport Business
    Getty Images logo on a digital screen, representing the renowned stock photo agency in a business news context.
  • Diageo boss ‘drastic’ Dave Lewis eyes £20m pay deal as 2,000 jobs slashed

    Hospitality
    Dave Lewis, former Tesco CEO, smiling in a supermarket aisle with products on shelves
  • Gatwick expansion green-lit as court throws out activists’ appeal

    Transport & Infrastructure
    20m passengers have flown through Gatwick this year
  • Mayor gives green light for 4am Joshua vs Fury fight at Wembley

    Sport Business
    Business professionals in a meeting analyzing financial data on laptops, highlighting corporate strategy and decision-making.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook