Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 05 October 2016 4:14 pm

Former FIA boss Max Mosley says he warned organisation about deal that threatens Liberty Media’s takeover of F1

By: Christian Sylt

Add as a preferred source on Google

Formula One’s former governor Max Mosley says he warned the sport’s authorities against taking a controversial stake in it which now threatens to put the brakes on the sale of the business.

American conglomerate Liberty Media last month agreed to buy F1’s parent company Delta Topco for £3.3bn from its controlling shareholder, private equity firm CVC, but it has since emerged that F1’s regulator, the FIA, stands to make nearly £33m from the deal as it owns a one per cent stake in Delta Topco.

This has fuelled concerns about a possible conflict of interest as the FIA’s consent is needed for the takeover to proceed.

Read more: The fizz that F1 champions spray? It's not champagne…

MEP Anneliese Dodds has written to the European Commission (EC), which must also approve the sale, urging it to launch an investigation.

The EC previously investigated F1 in 1999 when it received complaints that the FIA favoured the sport.

Three years later it announced that it had closed the file because the “FIA has sold all its rights in the FIA Formula One World Championship”.

Mosley, who was president of the FIA from 1993 to 2009, says the 2013 purchase of the one percent stake is “arguably contrary to the deal that we did with the Commission back in 2001”.

He added: “I queried it at the time because it didn’t seem to me to be entirely in keeping with the arrangement we made with the EC, by then 12 years previously. But the FIA’s view was that it was 'de minimis' – too small to matter – and they said this will have no effect on governing motorsport.

“I was slightly surprised because the turnover of the FIA in those days was in the order of $50-60m a year, which was the theoretical value of the one per cent, so it’s more or less like a year’s income and I didn’t see that as ‘de minimis’.”

Mosley says the FIA had to sell its shares in any motorsport series as a condition of the EC allowing it to govern all of them.

“Of course this arrangement included Formula One," he said. "On the face of it, the FIA’s one per cent share in the Formula One business seems problematic.”

CVC, Liberty and the FIA declined to comment.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Life&Style
  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Sport

Related Topics

  • Formula 1
  • M&A

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Five tracks that could host Formula 1 in coming years

    Sport Business
    Red Ferrari F1 car speeding past a blurred Malaysian flag banner on a race track
  • Paramount-Warner Bros deal faces ‘sufficient competition’, says CMA

    Media
    Paramount, Netflix, Warner logos; media giants intensifying streaming competition and strategic industry shifts
  • Chelsea fans stunned as ticket sharing equated with sexual misconduct

    Sport Business
    Crowds of fans gather outside the Chelsea FC stadium on a sunny day, with a Matchday Programmes On Sale sign visible.
  • Exclusive: Easyjet shareholder rights to be watered down under Apollo deal

    Aviation
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

    FTSE 100 Live
    Londons Stock Exchange orb with FTSE 100 display, symbolizing business and market updates
  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers ups stake in Hugo Boss after takeover bid

    Retail
    Mike Ashley in a business suit at a corporate event, discussing strategic plans, surrounded by executives and media personnel
  • Staveley planning ‘big property play’ as she closes in on West Ham stake

    Sport Business
    Smiling woman with blonde hair and black sunglasses in a black coat
  • Jeff Bezos closes in on Liverpool FC stake as FSG sale deal nears

    Sport Business
    Jeff Bezos, Amazon founder, in a blue suit and light shirt, speaking at a business event
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook