Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,708.79
-0.32%
DAX
25,935.11
-0.60%
CAC 40
8,486.70
-0.18%
STOXX 50
6,427.10
-0.27%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 17 October 2016 4:26 pm

RMT turns down ‘bribe’ from Southern as next three-day strike goes ahead

By: Rebecca Smith

Add as a preferred source on Google

Southern’s latest attempt to bring an end to ongoing strike action has been promptly rebuffed by the Rail Maritime and Transport union (RMT).

Southern’s last roll of the dice before train guards walk out on another three-day strike at midnight, was putting a lump sum of £2,000 back on the table earlier today.

Southern owner Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) called on the union to suspend strikes over the ongoing dispute concerning the role of the guard. It wanted the RMT to hold a referendum of its members to allow them to decide for themselves whether they wanted to accept its eight-point offer plus £2,000 lump sum per person.

Read more: Southern Rail commuters had very British responses to today's train chaos

GTR’s chief executive Charles Horton said: “There have been significant developments since the union tabled the original ballot to conductors over six months ago. In order to move things forward, I am asking the union to let conductors – the people at the heart of this matter – determine whether this dispute comes to an end or continues. Nearly a third of conductors are now coming into work on strike days and we expect that to increase.”

Govia said over 27 per cent of those rostered to work turned up during last week’s strike; up on the 16.5 per cent who turned up during the 18 May strike earlier in the year.

However, the RMT quickly dismissed the latest letter from Govia’s chief executive Charles Horton, calling it a bribe to staff “to sell-out passenger safety”.

“This latest letter from Charles Horton does not move this dispute on a single inch,” said RMT’s general secretary Mick Cash. “There is no offer whatsoever to start engaging in serious talks about the safety and access issues at the heart of this matter. Instead, Southern have rehashed the £2,000 bribe to our members even though the company has been told repeatedly that money is not the issue and that the safety of passengers and staff is not for sale.”

Upcoming strike dates:

  • 00:01 Tuesday 18 October to 23:59 Thursday 20 October
  • 00:01 Thursday 3 November to 23:59 Saturday 5 November
  • 00:01 Thursday 3 November to 23:59 Saturday 5 November
  • 00:01 Tuesday 6 December to 23:59 Thursday 8 December

 

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • London business
  • M&A

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

More from Morning Wire

  • Burnham and Healey face investor fury over summer of tax speculation

    Politics
    Andy Burnham, wearing glasses and a blue tie, speaks at a conference with a bald man in a red tie beside him.
  • Exclusive: Rugby World Champions Cup set to be mothballed

    Sport Business
    GettyImages 2277832417
  • Fifa want to sell the family silver but should World Rugby do the same?

    Sport Business
    New Zealand All Blacks rugby players performing the Haka pre-game with arms raised and intense expressions
  • Doctors union tops up £1m reserve pot for strikes

    Healthcare
    GettyImages 2246649047: Business professionals discussing strategy at a conference table, highlighting teamwork and collab...
  • IHT pension scramble shows ‘no sign of slowing down’, says Royal London boss 

    Investing
    Royal London shared £181mn with its 2.3m customers in April
  • Exclusive: Nothing slashes jobs in cost-cutting push

    Tech
    Nothing Phone 1 showcasing its transparent back design and unique LED light interface, representing innovation in smartpho...
  • Former Southern Water boss charged with conspiracy to defraud

    Law
    Southern Water safety sign on a chain link fence, detailing required PPE like hard hats and safety boots.
  • Thunder Call set to Strike in Shergar Cup Sprint

    Sport
    Thoroughbred racehorses with jockeys galloping on a green track, blurred crowd in foreground
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook