Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,734.40
-0.15%
DAX
26,397.41
-0.16%
CAC 40
8,598.14
-0.45%
STOXX 50
6,539.97
+0.01%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Morning Wire’s journalism is supported by our readers. .
Tuesday 18 October 2016 5:25 pm

Economic minister Simon Kirby bins plans for secondary annuity market: Is this a sign that more pension reforms are on the horizon?

By: Oliver Gill

Add as a preferred source on Google

One of George Osborne's cornerstone policies on increasing pension freedoms has been dropped by the government, the economic secretary announced today.

In March 2015, the government announced plans to set up a secondary market in order to give pensioners greater access to cashing in annuities.

Read more: Over-55s need to go on this kind of shopping spree more often

But in the wake of falling annuity values and a lack of demand, economic secretary Simon Kirby today announced that the government would no longer be taking the initiative forward. He said:

Allowing consumers to sell on their annuity income was always dependent on balancing the creation of an effective market with making sure consumers are properly protected.

It has become clear that we cannot guarantee consumers will get good value for money in a market that is likely to be small and limited.

Pursuing this policy in these circumstances would put consumers at risk – this is something that I am not prepared to do.

The original idea of an exchange was that those holding annuities would be able to realise better value than by simply selling them to an insurance company and taking the cash. A decision to take the idea forward had been delayed until April 2017.

However, the government has now concluded that there would be "insufficient purchasers to create a competitive market", in other words, there would not be enough people prepared to buy the annuities.

The news did not come as a shock to some experts. Tom Selby, a senior analyst at AJ Bell said that the idea had been "riddled with problems" and added that there were a number of insurmountable hurdles.

"The market would have been stacked in favour of the buyer and posed unacceptable risks to savers, who could have seen the value of their pot ravaged by charges.

"Pension scammers would also inevitably have seized on the changes to target annuity holders. It was difficult to see a long-term market where consumers would have got good value," he said.

Read more: What pension freedoms have done to bankers' pension pots

Old Mutual's pensions expert, Jon Greer, broadly agreed.

“The secondary annuity market was very likely to have been fraught with danger.

“It was a political promise made before the practical application of the policy had been considered, but shelving the proposals so soon is a major u-turn that the government will not have undertaken lightly," he said.

In addition, Selby said this could be a sign that the government is planning to announce further change in the sector in November.

It’s interesting to note that by ditching this policy, Philip Hammond has binned one of George Osborne’s key pensions pledges. The industry will now wait with baited breath for further announcements from the treasury ahead of the autumn statement, most notably on the future of pensions tax relief.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Jobs and Money

Categories

  • Money
  • Personal Finance

Trending Articles

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • FTSE 100 Live: Stocks shaky as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • OECD sounds alarm on pension triple lock in challenge to Burnham

    Economics
    Andy Burnham discussing AI advancements at a business conference podium with delegates in the background
  • Burnham backs plan to pump £1bn pension funds into start-ups

    Investing
    Man in suit and red tie speaking at a podium to an audience in a modern building.
  • Serco chief hits back at New Statesman’s outsourcing jibes

    Politics
    New Statesman magazine cover, How Britain Lost Control, with a crowned lion held by a hand, over a city skyline.
  • London Stock Exchange boss: We should know which companies our pensions are backing

    Markets
    Julia Hoggett and Rachel Reeves with other women leaders at a financial event, discussing pension industry overhaul.
  • Top Tory slams ‘ivory tower’ financial regulators as takeover bids blight London Stock Exchange

    Markets
    Shadow business secretary Andrew Griffith has said he would make it easier for small businesses to open bank accounts. (Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)
  • Can the City make friends with Healey?

    Politics
    Chancellor John Healey smiling, wearing a navy suit, white shirt, and red tie.
  • L&G cheers push into private credit as profit jumps

    Markets
    Legal & General is reported to be eying Natwest's pension provider.
  • State-backed pension scheme plans to pump £1bn into start-ups

    Investing
    City economists have warned that the triple lock pension is unsustainable and unaffordable given the state of the UK's public finances.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook