Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
-0.80%
CAC 40
8,509.36
-0.82%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
-0.95%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 26 October 2016 11:50 am

Combined Tube and Southern strike action to set up Christmas chaos

By: Rebecca Smith

Add as a preferred source on Google

More good news for Christmas commuters: not only has the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union confirmed it will ballot 3,500 London Underground workers for strike action, it’s also balloting drivers on Southern Rail.

The ballot will open next Friday on the 4 November and close on the 18 November, mirroring the timetable planned for Aslef union’s ballot. Aslef's dispute with Southern revolves around its belief that there should be no introduction or extension of new driver-only operated routes on Southern, without the agreement of the union.

Both unions are predicting overwhelming support for the strike calls and if workers do vote in favour, it could mean combined strike action on both the Tube and mainline rail in the run-up to the festive period.

Mark Wild, London Underground's managing director, said: "The safety of our customers and staff is our top priority and our hardworking people ensure that London Underground remains one of the safest metros in the world. An independent review of the closure of ticket offices is being conducted by London TravelWatch to ensure that we continue to deliver high quality customer service."

Read more: Southern Rail commuters had very British responses to today's train chaos

RMT leaders announced earlier today that the union was beginning a strike ballot among nearly 3,500 Tube staff next week (with the result on 15 November). The RMT’s balloting of London Underground workers is over a row over jobs and safety – put “back at the top of the agenda” following last week’s security incident at North Greenwich station.

Southern Rail driver members are being balloted about the ongoing dispute over changes to the role of the guard and increased driver-only operated trains. Train drivers’ union Aslef controls the majority of drivers and with RMT’s contribution, a total shutdown of Southern Rail could be on the cards.

Southern strikes are currently planned from 4-5 November, 22-23 November and 6-8 December, after a request from the British Legion resulted in the RMT suspending one planned for the 3 November. That’s the date of this year’s London Poppy Day.

Read more: Southern rail operator Govia bills Network Rail for more than £48m

"This decision has been made after close consideration and following a personal request from the British Legion," said RMT general secretary Mick Cash.

"The union recognises the very special importance of that particular day and as result has agreed to suspend the action planned for 3 November. The rest of the scheduled action goes ahead‎ as planned."

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • London business

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Former Southern Water boss charged with conspiracy to defraud

    Law
    Southern Water safety sign on a chain link fence, detailing required PPE like hard hats and safety boots.
  • Will the Nations Championship financially underdeliver for in-need Fiji?

    Sport Business
    Getty Images logo displayed prominently on a digital screen, symbolizing the brands visual content prowess and media prese...
  • Andy Burnham should show London he cares by funding this one transport project

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, standing outside 10 Downing Street in a suit and tie.
  • Doctors union tops up £1m reserve pot for strikes

    Healthcare
    GettyImages 2246649047: Business professionals discussing strategy at a conference table, highlighting teamwork and collab...
  • Staff would turn down promotion to keep flexibility at work

    Retail
    Keir Starmer is heading to China
  • Nationwide rebel claims he was offered sweetener to drop boardroom bid

    Banking
    Nationwide has been slapped with a fine by the City watchdog.
  • Exclusive: Rugby World Champions Cup set to be mothballed

    Sport Business
    GettyImages 2277832417
  • AM Best Upgrades Fortegra Insurance Subsidiaries to A (Excellent)

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook