Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,707.85
-0.19%
DAX
26,078.84
-0.19%
CAC 40
8,532.53
+0.27%
STOXX 50
6,467.55
-0.01%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 27 October 2016 6:49 am

Samsung posted quarterly earnings that were at an eight-year low but in line with expectations

By: Oliver Gill

Add as a preferred source on Google

Samsung posted its worst quarterly results for almost eight years in the wake of the Galaxy Note 7 debacle, but promised that it would rebound in the fourth quarter.

Earnings plummeted 98 per cent in comparison to the previous year and languished at their worst level since the final quarter of 2008.

Although this was in line with guidance it was markedly down on the 7.8 trillion won (£5.6bn) it estimated prior to withdrawal of its the flagship Note 7 on fears that handsets were spontaneously combusting.

Read more: Samsung will bounce back from its Galaxy Note 7 PR disaster

Operating profits were their lowest level in two years as the group revealed that it had generated 5.2 trillion won (£3.7bn).

Nevertheless, the South Korean giant said that it was looking forward to a positive fourth quarter and that it “expects earnings to improve driven by strong performance in the components business,” it said in a statement.

“The mobile business expects a recovery in its earnings to a similar level with that of the fourth quarter of 2015.” The division reported profit of 2.2 trillion won in the final quarter of last year and it expects to match it through bumping up sales of its Galaxy S7 phones along with selling more of its new lower tier models.

Read more: Samsung to take profit hit of £2.5bn from Galaxy Note 7 failure

Samsung also revealed overnight that it was investigating every aspect of its flawed Galaxy Note 7 phones in an attempt to ascertain why they had been catching fire.

The group had managed to secure a number of the flawed handsets and concluded that although 55 of a sample of 119 were due to a battery problem, 19 were under further investigation.

Samsung said that it was investigating other issues that included hardware, software and the manufacturing process.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Tech

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

More from Morning Wire

  • As it happened: Stocks slide despite tech and data boost; Oil falls after OPEC+ ups output

    Markets
    Samsung has missed earnings expectations
  • Allianz Delivers Record Result and Is Well on Track to Achieve Its Targets

    Business Wire
  • South Korea is the canary in the coalmine of the AI boom

    Opinion
    Skyline of Seoul, South Korea featuring modern skyscrapers and traditional architecture under a clear blue sky
  • ‘Ugly moment’ for software stocks as IBM suffers biggest one-day slump in decades

    Tech
    All eyes on IBM v Lzlabs as the tech giant kicks off legal battle
  • Organigram Reports Record Third Quarter Fiscal 2026 Results

    Business Wire
  • Arm Holdings plc Reports Results for the First Quarter of the Fiscal Year Ending 2027

    Business Wire
  • Revolut will become $1 trillion company by 2035, says early VC backer

    Fintech
    Revolut London office glass facade with prominent R logo reflecting cityscape, highlighting modern fintech design
  • Klarna cuts revenue target as it forecasts softer European volumes

    Fintech
    Klarna IPO announcement showcased on Times Square billboard, highlighting fintech growth and market anticipation
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook