Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,706.11
-0.20%
DAX
26,096.13
-0.12%
CAC 40
8,535.23
+0.30%
STOXX 50
6,471.25
+0.05%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 17 November 2016 12:01 am

US mega fine looms over sale of RBS

By: Hayley Kirton

Add as a preferred source on Google

​A possible US fine of $5bn-$12bn or more has hit the pause button on any further sale of the government’s huge holding in embattled lender RBS, two top officials told MPs yesterday.

The boss of UKFI – the organisation charged with advising government on the sale of assets picked up during the financial crisis – said there was too much uncertainty to make a call on when RBS’ share price would be at a suitable level to sell the stock.

Appearing before the influential Treasury Select Committee, UKFI chief exec Oliver Holbourn pointed to the looming fine from the US Department of Justice (DoJ) for mis-selling mortgage-backed securities, as well as questions surrounding the sale of Williams & Glyn, as two critical reasons why it could not give an indication of when the shares could be shed.

Read more: RBS faces a long road to profitability as it seeks to solve its problems

“We are now back, unfortunately, in wait and see mode until these issues are resolved,” Holbourn said.

Yesterday’s hearing comes almost two months to the day after it was revealed Deutsche Bank’s DoJ fine, which focuses on the same issue as RBS’, could be as high as $14bn (£11.2bn).

The size of Deutsche Bank’s fine sent its share price on a downward spiral, particularly after it was reported German Chancellor Angela Merkel would not be willing to offer state assistance. Deutsche’s shares have since recovered, however.

Read more: MPs grill watchdog chief as Tesco Bank and RBS fallout rocks the sector

James Leigh-Pemberton, chairman of UKFI, told the MPs yesterday that the size of RBS’ fine was still up in the air, saying there had been speculation that it could be $5bn, $12bn or even more.

The grilling also came less than a month after RBS released its third quarter results, revealing not only an almost £500m loss but also that it did not expect to be able to divest of Williams & Glyn in time to meet the end of 2017 deadline it had been given as part of its state bailout deal.

However, the committee members seemed unimpressed with the reasons given, with Tory Jacob Rees-Mogg noting the factors listed may well have already been priced in by the market.

“This seems to me to be a constant argument for doing nothing,” Rees-Mogg said.

Read more: Santander returns to negotiating table for RBS' Williams & Glyn

In contrast to the 73 per cent state owned RBS, chancellor Philip Hammond announced last month the government was preparing to sell its remaining stake in Lloyds.

The Treasury shed part of its original 78 per cent holding in RBS last summer, opting to sell at 330p per share, a significant discount on the roughly 500p per share the stake was originally purchased for.

RBS’ shares, which closed down 1.9 per cent at 208.4p yesterday, have lost almost a third of their value over the course of the last 12 months.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

More from Morning Wire

  • EY and London managing partner fined over £1.3m for audit failure

    Big Four
    EY London headquarters building exterior on a sunny day, showcasing modern architecture in the citys business district
  • Lehman Brothers Treasury Considers Sale and Final Wind-Down

    Business Wire
  • Lehman Brothers Treasury Announces the Successful Sale of its Remaining Intercompany Claim against Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc.

    Business Wire
  • Exclusive: Coq d’Argent unveils new riverside location as it bids farewell to No.1 Poultry

    Life&Style
    Coq dArgent financial district restaurant exterior with modern architecture and rooftop terrace ambiance
  • Poundland owner eyes sale one year after takeover

    Retail
    Exterior view of a Poundland store entrance with its teal blue signage and glass doors
  • Iwoca closes bumper debt facility as sale speculation mounts

    Fintech
    Christoph Rieche (right) and James Dear (left) co-founded Iwoca in 2011.
  • BXB Estates Completes AED 110 Million Record-Breaking Sale, the Highest Residential Transaction in Jumeirah Golf Estates History

    Business Wire
  • Top-end priced UK properties may take four times longer to leave market

    Property
    Rightmove is the fourth busiest UK-based platform
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook