Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
-0.80%
CAC 40
8,509.36
-0.82%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
-0.95%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Sunday 20 November 2016 1:01 pm

Sadiq Khan wants Volkswagen to cough up £2.5m owed to London in congestion charges

By: Rebecca Smith

Add as a preferred source on Google

As if Volkswagen didn't have enough on its plate, now it's facing a £2.5m compensation demand from mayor of London, Sadiq Khan.

Khan has written to the car giant after Transport for London (TfL) found that an estimated 80,000 of the 500,000 VW cars registered to addresses in the capital, were fitted with illegal defeat devices. So many have escaped the congestion charge for years.

The devices reduced vehicle emissions during certification tests and for models with smaller diesel engines, they were so effective that in tests, the emissions produced were well below the level where the congestion charge would come into play. The owners involved wouldn't have had to pay it as a result.

Read more: Sadiq Khan is cracking down on the capital's most polluting vehicles

In September last year, Volkswagen accepted it had installed so-called "defeat devices" on its diesel vehicles to beat official emissions standards tests and make cars look less polluting than they were.

TfL has now calculated it lost around £2.5m in congestion charge revenue as a resulted of VW owners claiming a discount they potentially weren't entitled to.

Khan said:

There is no excuse for the utter lack of action VW has taken in London since the ‘dieselgate’ scandal came to light.

I want to see a proper commitment from them to fully compensate the thousands of Londoners who bought VW cars in good faith, but whose diesel engines are now contributing to London’s killer air.

He urged the company to "reimburse TfL the £2.5m lost in congestion charge revenue", which he will use to fund an air quality programme for schools. Khan said that will "reduce the exposure and raise the awareness of school children in London attending schools in the most polluted area".

The mayor has asked VW for a progress update on its commitment to re-programme the defeat devices in affected vehicles and the expected completion date.

Read more: This is how much Londoners will pay to live in the congestion charge zone

But he's unimpressed with only offering a software-based fix compared to the compensation and buy-back settlement agreed with US regulatory authorities for American consumers – deeming it "woefully insufficient" in comparison. 

An excerpt from the mayor's letter to Volkswagen:

[infographic id="942"]

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • London business

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Sadiq Khan lobbies Burnham to appoint Miliband as Chancellor 

    Politics
    Sadiq Khan addressing media at a press conference in formal attire, discussing recent developments in London policies
  • No air conditioning on the Tube? Blame Sadiq Khan

    Opinion
    Crowded London Underground platform during summer heat wave, passengers fanning themselves to stay cool
  • West Ham: Staveley receives Sadiq Khan encouragement to buy London Stadium

    Sport Business
    Low-angle view of a football stadium from the pitch, showing the corner marking and empty seats under a blue sky
  • Sadiq Khan urges tougher Ofcom action as UK prepares social media ban rules

    Tech
    Sadiq Khan addressing media at a press conference in formal attire, discussing recent developments in London policies
  • Sadiq Khan’s London plan is not nearly ambitious enough

    Opinion
    The Mayor of London, Sir Sadiq Khan, has this morning announced a £1.4m cash injection for community sport across the capital.
  • Why did Pinterest choose Oxford Street for its new HQ?

    Opinion
    Gregory Owens and Sadiq Khan, London Mayor, stand smiling in a gallery with various framed images.
  • Volkswagen California 2026 review: plenty of room at the Hotel California

    Life&Style
    Red Volkswagen VW California camper van with pop-top roof extended, parked on a road with hills in background.
  • Mayor gives green light for 4am Joshua vs Fury fight at Wembley

    Sport Business
    Business professionals in a meeting analyzing financial data on laptops, highlighting corporate strategy and decision-making.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook