Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
-0.80%
CAC 40
8,509.36
-0.82%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
-0.95%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 22 November 2016 5:38 pm

China’s European spending spree undeterred by UK’s Brexit vote

By: William Turvill

Add as a preferred source on Google

Chinese deal activity in the UK has not been slowed by the Brexit vote and the appetite for European takeovers in general is likely to increase, according to a new report.

So far this year, China and Hong Kong-based dealmakers have completed 170 acquisitions in Europe, according to a Deloitte analysis. Meanwhile, in the opposite direction, there have been 52 deals in which European companies have targeted Chinese companies.

Germany was the most targeted European country, with 34 deals, followed by the UK on 32 and France on 21. The accountancy firm also noted that, since the EU referendum, eight UK deals have been completed, with another two expected to complete soon.

[infographic id="946"]

Read more: US congress advised to block Chinese state-backed takeovers

“The appetite of Chinese buyers for acquisitions in Europe continues apace and with encouragement from the Beijing government and favourable exchange rates, is likely to increase,” said Angus Knowles-Cutler, China services group chairman for Deloitte.

“Since the referendum, Chinese buyers continue to close deals here and, if anything, the UK looks a more stable bet than many other advanced economies. Any seller of assets should be thinking about how to include Chinese buyers in their sales processes.”

Deloitte found the UK is particularly attractive to Chinese companies for its financial services and leisure industry companies.

Read more: Donald Trump presidency could be a threat to record China-US M&A levels

“Many acquirers are still focusing on bringing the brands and technology back to China, and deals here are now around 10 per cent cheaper,” said Knowles-Cutler.

“Chinese businesses have no problem finding acquisition targets and are now focused on the challenges that arise after signing. This includes managing and motivating western business leaders, and delivering on the promises made.”

Across announced China-to-Europe deals that have either completed or are yet to complete, Deloitte found a total disclosed value of $88.4bn (£71.1bn). This includes the ChemChina takeover of Syngenta. Going in the opposite direction, the figure was $8.2bn.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • International
  • M&A

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Private equity firms eye valuation gap as City falls to takeovers

    Markets
    The FTSE 100 could face trouble as banks suffer from bond market turmoil.
  • Government intervenes on foreign takeover bids for UK defence firms

    Industrials
    UK defence strategy meeting, officials discussing military advancements and security measures in a conference room setting
  • Takeovers aren’t the reason the London Stock Exchange is shrinking

    Opinion
    Canada skyline featuring iconic skyscrapers and modern architecture against a clear blue sky
  • Hogan Lovells Cadwalader looks to tap transatlantic dealmaking boom following merger

    Legal
    Canada
  • FTSE 100 firm agrees £5.7bn takeover in latest private equity swoop

    Markets
    GettyImages 2211256637 showing a significant event or figure relevant to recent news updates in the business sector
  • Tesco ‘in talks’ to exit eastern Europe

    Retail
    Tesco storefront with shoppers entering and exiting, highlighting the brands popularity and bustling retail environment
  • London Stock Exchange unveils ‘LSE24’ round-the-clock trading venue

    Markets
    Given no article content, categories, or tags, and a generic filename, I cannot generate a specific alt text. I need more ...
  • Shareholder backlash pushes up low-ball London takeover bids

    Markets
    Over 100 major London-listed companies, including Fevertree Drinks and YouGov, have written to the Chancellor warning that the uncertainty surrounding the future of a key tax relief tied to London’s junior stock market is battering investor confidence. 
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook