Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
-0.80%
CAC 40
8,509.36
-0.82%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
-0.95%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 09 December 2016 11:25 am

Sadiq Khan accuses government of “washing their hands” of Southern rail crisis and abandoning passengers

By: Rebecca Smith

Add as a preferred source on Google

The mayor of London has become the latest to chime in on the hefty disruption on Southern rail, labelling the ongoing chaos "a total disgrace".

Sadiq Khan criticised all sides and called on the unions to cancel the strikes lined up for next week, though he took particular aim at the government over its inaction.

"The unions should cancel the strikes and get back to the negotiating table, but the government are washing their hands of this crisis and abandoning commuters in this process," he said.

Read more: Map of horror: How Southern services will still be affected post-strikes

Services have been beset by delays and disruptions as a raft of strikes have been held throughout the year in a long-running dispute over the role of guards on trains.

“The chaos on the government-run Southern services this week is in stark contrast to Transport for London (TfL) – who successfully persuaded the unions to call off their planned strike on the underground through engagement and negotiation," he added.

The mayor also took the chance to plug his last-ditch bid for TfL to take over suburban rail services in the capital, saying the ongoing chaos showed why commuter rail lines, including Southern, Southeastern and South West, should be devolved to TfL.

He said: "It is absolutely clear that commuters would suffer from fewer strikes if TfL controlled these routes."

The mayor's plan was rejected by transport secretary Chris Grayling earlier this week, but he will make a final push in the next few weeks to get the government to change its mind.

Read more: Southern rail legal bid fails as High Court rules strikes can go ahead

For its part, the government has criticised the unions for "politically motivated" walkouts.

Grayling wrote to Brighton Kemptown MP Simon Kirby last month saying industrial action lined up was "politically motivated" and "designed to create maximum disruption".

He wrote: "We cannot allow the unions to dictate how or whether the railways should be modernised or not. They are seeking the right to determine when a train should be cancelled to inconvenience passengers, even in circumstances when this doesn't need to be the case."

And earlier this month, rail minister Paul Maynard MP reaffirmed the government will not be intervening, saying passengers wouldn't thank it for "costly intervention". Maynard said he understood people were impatient for action, "but when we take action it has to be the right action".

The government also recently unveiled a compensation package for long-suffering Southern season ticket holders, who will be able to claim a refund for the equivalent of one month's travel.

It comes after Southern owner Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) failed in its legal challenge to hold off Aslef strikes next week. A High Court judge did though give GTR leave to appeal against the decision.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Politics
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • London business

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

More from Morning Wire

  • Trump suspends strikes amid new peace hopes

    Politics
    Donald Trump speaking at press conference podium, addressing media with serious expression, American flags in background
  • Doctors union tops up £1m reserve pot for strikes

    Healthcare
    GettyImages 2246649047: Business professionals discussing strategy at a conference table, highlighting teamwork and collab...
  • Sadiq Khan urges tougher Ofcom action as UK prepares social media ban rules

    Tech
    Sadiq Khan addressing media at a press conference in formal attire, discussing recent developments in London policies
  • Strait of Hormuz ‘closed’ as Iran and US exchange strikes

    Economics
    Bustling shipping activity in the Strait of Hormuz with tankers and cargo ships navigating Iranian waters.
  • Trump warns Iran: ‘We’re going to beat the f***ing s*** out of them’

    Politics
    Donald Trump speaking at press conference podium, addressing media with serious expression, American flags in background
  • Sadiq Khan lobbies Burnham to appoint Miliband as Chancellor 

    Politics
    Sadiq Khan addressing media at a press conference in formal attire, discussing recent developments in London policies
  • No air conditioning on the Tube? Blame Sadiq Khan

    Opinion
    Crowded London Underground platform during summer heat wave, passengers fanning themselves to stay cool
  • As it happened: Stocks drop on Trump-Iran warning; Mahmood tipped to be chancellor

    Markets
    Donald Trump speaking at a press conference podium with an American flag backdrop, emphasizing political discourse
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook