Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,707.85
-0.19%
DAX
26,078.84
-0.19%
CAC 40
8,532.53
+0.27%
STOXX 50
6,467.55
-0.01%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 09 January 2017 8:04 am

It’s official: The UK government is no longer the largest shareholder in Lloyds Bank

By: Jasper Jolly

Add as a preferred source on Google

The government is no longer the largest investor in Lloyds Bank, after it reduced its stake to below six per cent for the first time since it was bailed out in the financial crisis.

The stake now comprises 5.95 per cent of the FTSE 100 bank. The sale means that over £18bn of taxpayer money has now been returned – after the £20.3bn part-nationalisation.

US investment manager BlackRock is now the largest investor. It owns a stake in the bank bigger than five per cent, according to an earlier regulatory filing.

The proceeds of the sale will go towards paying off the national debt, which ballooned as government stepped in during the financial crisis. Lloyds was bailed out in October 2008 as the government pumped money into the British banking sector to avoid its collapse.

Read more: The government has sold off more Lloyds shares

The government has since steadily reduced its holdings from October, when the Treasury owned 6.5bn shares, or 9.1 per cent of the bank – down from a 43 per cent peak – according to UK Financial Investments, the government body tasked with managing government stakes in Lloyds and RBS.

Chancellor Philip Hammond said:

Returning Lloyds to the private sector and recovering all of the cash the taxpayer injected into the bank during the financial crisis is a priority for the government.

Confirmation that we are no longer the largest shareholder in the bank and that we’ve now recouped over £18 billion for UK taxpayers is further evidence that we are on track to recover all of the £20 billion injected into the bank during the financial crisis.

Antonio Horta-Osorio, chief executive of Lloyds Banking Group, said: “Today’s announcement that the UK government is no longer our largest shareholder is a key milestone in the journey of Lloyds Banking Group back to full private ownership, returning taxpayers’ money at a profit.

“It also reflects the hard work undertaken by everyone at Lloyds over the last five years to transform the Group into a simple, low-risk and customer-focused bank that is committed to helping Britain prosper,” he added.

Read more: Lloyds share sell off set to gain pace tomorrow

Lloyds shares were quoted at 65.9p before the London open on Monday, before falling to 65.3p in early trading.

This is below the 73.6p level which was previously considered to be the break-even point for the government. However, a mixture of fees and dividends have made the disposal more attractive for the government.

The government previously reduced its stake with two offerings to institutional investors in 2013 and 2014, bringing the stake to 24.9 per cent.

The government has recently upped the pace of its sales, with Philip Hammond one of the driving forces after he assumed office as chancellor in July. Last month the government announced its stake had fallen below seven per cent.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Banking
  • Business

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

More from Morning Wire

  • Mahmood called for banker bonus tax to fix youth unemployment 

    Banking
    Shabana Mahmood wearing a stylish black jacket, embodying professional elegance in a business setting
  • ‘It’s going to impact work’: Lloyds to cut £2bn in costs with AI

    Banking
    Hand holding a smartphone displaying the Lloyds Bank mobile app logo on a green screen.
  • Lloyds beats profit target as bank sets sights on more cost-cutting

    Banking
    Lloyds Bank logo and sign on the exterior glass facade of a modern building in Manchester
  • Bank of England warns Burnham of UK economy’s ‘big issue’

    Economics
    Bank of England Governor Andrew Bailey said the future of interest rates was "more uncertain".
  • Don’t hike bank taxes, Barclays warns Burnham

    Banking
    Barclays investment bank income soared in the first quarter.
  • JP Morgan boss issues bank tax warning to John Healey

    Banking
    JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon
  • Big bank bosses on alert as tax noise gets louder under Burnham

    Banking
    Two men, one in a white shirt and red tie, the other in a navy jacket, conversing outdoors.
  • Dimon threatens to ditch JP Morgan tower in tax warning to Burnham

    Banking
    Jamie Dimon speaking at a JP Morgan event, wearing a suit and tie, addressing financial trends and market strategies.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook