Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 01 February 2017 2:56 pm

Volkswagen agrees to pay at least $1.2bn to US vehicle owners of big diesels

By: Rebecca Smith

Add as a preferred source on Google

Volkswagen has agreed to pay at least $1.2bn (£950m) in buybacks and compensation to owners of larger diesel engines affected by the firm's emissions scandal in the US.

According to court documents filed late on Tuesday, VW has agreed to pay the total to fix or buy back nearly 80,000 polluting 3.0 litre diesel-engine vehicles, to settle claims it had fitted illegal emissions-cheating software to the cars. The settlement needs to be approved by a US judge.

Read more: VW owners are taking their emissions scandal claims to the High Court

In a statement, Hinrich J. Woebcken, President and chief executive of Volkswagen Group of America, said: "We will continue to work to earn back the trust of all our stakeholders and thank our customers and dealers for their continued patience as this process moves forward."

German supplier Robert Bosch has also agreed to pay $327.5m to US diesel VW owners. Owners had sued Bosch in 2015, saying the firm helped design "defeat device" software which enabled VW to evade emissions rules.

VW has faced a raft of lawsuits in relation to its scandal that unfolded in September 2015, after it admitted to building "defeat devices" to circumvent emissions tests in around 11m cars worldwide.

It set aside more than £15bn to cover the cost of vehicle refits on smaller 2.0 litre diesel engines, and a settlement with the US authorities. The company ultimately secured a £3.5bn draft settlement with US regulators.

This development would mark a significant step to moving on from the trouble, though there are some remaining lawsuits from both US states and investors.

Read more: VW has given its classic camper van a futuristic, self-driving revamp

VW also had positive news to report elsewhere this week, after it overtook Toyota as the biggest car maker in the world, after its reputation (and share price) took a hit following the emissions scandal in 2015.

Toyota made 10.175m cars last year, compared to Volkswagen's 10.31m; the first time Toyota has trailed its German rival in four years.

Toyota said exports to North America, the Middle East and Africa had dropped. VW, which makes the Audi, Porsche and Skoda brands, was boosted by solid sales in China.

 

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Audi’s brought back the A2, and it’s gone electric

    Life&Style
    Two Audi A2 concept cars with distinctive designs parked by a waterfront cityscape at sunset.
  • Luton Airport expansion set for take-off after environmental challenge dismissed

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Luton Airport aerial view with planes, runways, and terminal buildings, highlighting busy travel hub operations
  • Gatwick expansion green-lit as court throws out activists’ appeal

    Transport & Infrastructure
    20m passengers have flown through Gatwick this year
  • Government to inject millions into electric vehicle firms despite mandate backlash

    Politics
    Car bodies on an assembly line in a UK car plant, showcasing EV manufacturing process
  • Top court ‘opens the floodgates’ for part-time workers’ claims

    Lawsuit
    Supreme Court building under clear sky, symbolizing justice and authority, relevant to recent judicial news coverage
  • Heineken-owned pubs group faces probe over eviction threat

    Hospitality
    Hand holding a 4-pack of green Heineken beer cans with red stars and white lettering
  • Bayer Leverkusen and RB Leipzig face ownership shake-up after 50+1 ruling

    Sport Business
    Two male soccer players, one in blue and one in white/red, vie for the ball on a green field.
  • Former Crystal Palace owner John Textor scores temporary block of Brazilian football club share sale

    Lawsuit
    John Textor says he is ready to sell his stake in Crystal Palace to avoid the club being kicked out of the Europa League due to rules on multi-club ownership.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook