Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
-0.80%
CAC 40
8,509.36
-0.82%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
-0.95%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 08 February 2017 3:09 pm

Shell has submitted plans to dismantle its Brent North Sea platforms

By: Courtney Goldsmith

Add as a preferred source on Google

Royal Dutch Shell today submitted plans to dismantle its Brent North Sea production platforms to the British government, marking a turning point for the UK oil industry.

Shell's Brent field, which is one of the largest fields in the North Sea, has produced around 3bn barrels of oil equivalent since work began in 1976. That's almost 10 per cent of the UK's total production.

Known for lending its name to the benchmark measure for crude, the Brent field produced more than 500,000 barrels per day in its heyday in 1982.

Read more: Why is Chrysaor buying Shell's North Sea assets?

Brent is one of the most complex decommissioning processes, Shell said – the site has four platforms, 154 wells and 28 pipelines. The oil major has consulted with its stakeholders since 2007 and received input from around 180 organisations across Europe to work out the best solution.

“After an extensive and in-depth study period, the submission of Shell’s Brent decommissioning programme marks another important milestone in the history of the Brent oil and gas field,” said Duncan Manning, Brent decommissioning asset manager.

The programme is set to start this summer when Shell removes the 24,200 tonne topside of its Brent Delta platform. This process was already approved two years ago after Delta stopped production in 2011.

Read more: Shell has won its legal battle over oil spills in the Niger Delta

Brent Alpha and Bravo ceased production in 2014, while the Charlie platform will continue to produce oil "for some time", Shell said.

Shell's plan will leave the legs of some of its platforms intact, saying removing the 6,000 tonne concrete legs would be "extremely technically challenging" and would pose more safety and environmental risks than benefits.

The Anglo-Dutch oil giant submitted its programme to the department for business, energy and industrial strategy (BEIS), which has invited public responses to the proposals over the next 60 days. It will then analyse the feedback and decide whether to approve the plan.

"Any decommissioning plan will be carefully considered by the government, taking into account environmental, safety and cost implications, the impact on other users of the sea and a public consultation," Reuters reported a spokesman for the BEIS said.

Companies operating in UK waters need to dismantle around 7,500 kilometres of pipelines and more than 100 platforms at an estimated cost of £17.6bn by 2025, Oil & Gas UK has previously said. These costs have been provided for by the operators and the British government through tax relief.

Read more: Anger erupts as North Sea decommissioning contract goes to non-UK firm

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Shell launches bumper buyback after earnings more than double on Middle East turmoil

    Energy
    Shell CEO Wael Sawan in a boardroom setting, highlighting his reported £4.5m pay boost under new remuneration policy.
  • Burnham to approve North Sea oil and gas drilling in policy blitz

    Politics
    North Sea oil terminal with storage tanks and docking facilities under a clear sky, highlighting energy infrastructure.
  • As it happened: Stocks rise; oil falls after Trump pauses Iran strikes

    Markets
    Donald Trump holding a red TRUMP 2028 hat, wearing a tuxedo with an American flag in the background
  • Exclusive: Saudi ship struck by Houthis had insurance from Lloyd’s insurance giant

    Insurance
    Rising borrowing costs depicted amid escalating tensions following the Iran war, illustrating economic impact on global ma...
  • As it happened: Stocks jump as oil drops below $100; Trump in tariff blitz

    Markets
    Donald Trump speaking at a press conference with microphones, blue sky background
  • As it happened: Stocks rise despite IEA warning of ‘critical’ oil issue

    Markets
    North Sea oil terminal with storage tanks and docking facilities under a clear sky, highlighting energy infrastructure.
  • Burnham’s cost of living push under threat as oil hits $100

    Markets
    Two men stand in the ocean with multiple oil tankers and cargo ships in the hazy distance.
  • As it happened: Stocks slip as oil hits $100 following Houthi attacks on tankers

    Markets
    FTSE 100 stocks rise as Brent crude oil prices jump 1.8% to $104.98 amid Strait of Hormuz tensions and Trumps Iran stance
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook