Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
0.00%
CAC 40
8,509.36
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 13 February 2017 11:28 am

Tube strike threat over staffing and ticket office closures is off after the TSSA accepts London Underground deal over jobs

By: Rebecca Smith

Add as a preferred source on Google

The threat of industrial action on the London Underground over jobs has come to an end, after the Transport Salaried Staffs' Association (TSSA) accepted a deal.

As a result, the union has called off its overtime ban.

Both the TSSA and the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union had been in dispute with London Underground over ticket office closures and job cuts.

An earlier walkout in January had seen over three thousand workers go on strike, shutting down the majority of Zone 1 Tube stations and causing severe travel disruption.

Read more: The story behind the Tube strike – a new era of 'smart travel' beckons

More strike action was on the cards for this month, but fresh proposals from LU bosses led to the TSSA  suspending action, saying the offers "pave the way for a resolution" and it would have further talks to hash out details. It has now accepted the deal.

TSSA general secretary Manuel Cortes said: 

Enormous credit must be paid to our members on our Tube.

In refusing to work overtime for the last few months, they have proved beyond any doubt that our Tube was no longer employing enough people for stations to the meet minimum legal staffing requirements needed to remain open, let alone deal with congestion or other major security issues.

Boris Johnson's cull of over 800 jobs blew all safety procedures apart.

He thanked Johnson's successor, mayor Sadiq Khan, "for listening to our members, but, more importantly, for taking them seriously and acting upon their concerns".

The RMT suspended strike action planned from the 5 February after talks with LU bosses at conciliation service Acas. It said the talks had resulted in "nearly 60 per cent of the original job cuts planned" being reversed.

"That is a tremendous victory and a reflection of the resilience and determination of our reps and the membership right across London Underground," said RMT general secretary Mick Cash. "We will now continue to work on implementation of the new staffing arrangements at the local level and as always RMT remains eternally vigilant."

Read more: Tube delays from overcrowding have tripled in five years

Steve Griffiths, chief operating officer for LU, said: "We agree that we need more staff in our stations and we will be recruiting at least 650 new station staff this year, of which 325 will be additional new roles. The remainder will comprise supervisor and customer service assistant roles and are expected to be a mix of both full time and part time."

However, Conservative London Assembly member Keith Prince warned that the deal has shown the mayor "can be bullied and blackmailed by the transport unions into acting against the interests of London".

Prince added: "Boris Johnson’s ticket office changes saved TfL £50m per year. This reversal will waste tens of millions of those savings and could sink the mayor’s already ludicrous savings projections.”

 

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • London business

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • No air conditioning on the Tube? Blame Sadiq Khan

    Opinion
    Crowded London Underground platform during summer heat wave, passengers fanning themselves to stay cool
  • Doctors union tops up £1m reserve pot for strikes

    Healthcare
    GettyImages 2246649047: Business professionals discussing strategy at a conference table, highlighting teamwork and collab...
  • The BBC shouldn’t push Londoners to accept antisocial phone behaviour 

    Opinion
    Passengers inside a graffiti-covered London Underground train car, some looking at phones, others observing the interior.
  • Andy Burnham should show London he cares by funding this one transport project

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, standing outside 10 Downing Street in a suit and tie.
  • Burnham’s devolution drive could ‘push 90,000 jobs out of London’

    Economics
    In 2022, rolling Tube strikes led to massive queues for crowded buses. (Photo by Chris J Ratcliffe/Getty Images)
  • As it happened: Stocks fall as oil creeps up; Trump to ‘finish job’ in Iran

    Markets
    Donald Trump speaking at the PAAP office conference, addressing key political issues and strategies in a formal setting.
  • Mayor gives green light for 4am Joshua vs Fury fight at Wembley

    Sport Business
    Business professionals in a meeting analyzing financial data on laptops, highlighting corporate strategy and decision-making.
  • Ticket price hikes proof Wales Rugby Union is tone deaf to loyal fan concerns

    Sport Business
    Aerial view of Cardiff city, Principality Stadium, and surrounding buildings under a blue sky
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook