Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,743.35
+0.14%
DAX
26,091.33
-0.14%
CAC 40
8,501.91
-0.09%
STOXX 50
6,444.46
-0.37%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Sunday 26 February 2017 6:23 pm

Samsung just launched an iPad Pro and Microsoft Surface rival at MWC 2017 as we wait for the Galaxy S8

By: Lynsey Barber

Add as a preferred source on Google

Samsung is taking on Apple and Microsoft in the premium tablet stakes, unveiling a wannabe laptop replacement – the Galaxy Book.

Vying for a slice of a market dominated by the iPad Pro and Microsoft Surface, the device is a full PC running Windows 10 and comes with a keyboard and stylus.

The announcement, along with an updated model of its flagship Tab 3 at Mobile World Congress, is a lower key affair for the Korean electronics giant than in previous years.

Read more: Blackberry's famous qwerty keyboard is back

The tablets filled in for an absent flagship smartphone as the Galaxy S8 is expected to be unveiled later in the year, while the brand is still recovering from the disastrous Galaxy Note 7 fallout.

The Galaxy Book boasts HDR video, a 13 and five megapixel camera on front and back respectively, comes in 12 inch and 10.6 inch sizes and goes on sale in March.

“Our new tablet portfolio is built with premium technology that delivers a productive and versatile experience to consumers, designed for users at home, work or on the go,” said Samsung president of mobile communications business, DJ Koh.

The general tablet market is in decline with buyers upgrading less frequently than they do with smartphones. 175m were shipped in 2016, down 16 per cent on the previous year, according to analysts at IDC.  Apple took the biggest share at 24 per cent, but down 14.2 per cent on the previous year, and Samsung second with a 15 per cent share, down 21 per cent.

But, so-called detachable tablets, hybrids or 2-in1s – those with keyboards and power more akin with a PC – are set for positive growth.

Read more: Apple stock just got a major upgrade from Goldman Sachs (it's very confident about the iPhone 8)

A slight dampening in the last quarter of the year is expected to be temporary with plenty of opportunity with only two main players, and "as the ecosystems are further refined with future updates and developer support," said IDC senior research analyst Jitesh Ubrani in the firm’s Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Device Tracker published earlier this month.

Both smartphone makers and notebook manufacturers are expected to take on the device category this year.

Microsoft launched its original Surface tablet in 2012, with several models since, while Apple unveiled its iPad Pro with “desktop-class performance” in late 2015.

While Samsung is taking on tablet rivals, it is facing increasing competition in the smartphone world. Several rival handset makers are launching high-profile handsets at the technology show in Barcelona this week, piling additional pressure on its next smartphone launch.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Tech

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

More from Morning Wire

  • As it happened: Stocks slide despite tech and data boost; Oil falls after OPEC+ ups output

    Markets
    Samsung has missed earnings expectations
  • Ofgem data centre crackdown risks ‘driving AI investors away’ from UK

    Tech
    Sir Keir Starmer's government has prioritised investment data centres as a major pillar of its plans to boost economic growth.
  • Microsoft ‘back on track’, whilst Meta spending leaves investors ‘nervous’

    Tech
    Meta's Zuckerberg is leading the AI recruitment boom
  • Vena to Acquire Morpheo AI, Advancing Vena AI Through Vena Omega™, the Industry’s Only Cumulative Context Engine Built for Finance

    Business Wire
  • Grid delays force Starmer-backed AI data centre to seek alternative power

    Tech
    Sir Keir Starmer's government has prioritised investment data centres as a major pillar of its plans to boost economic growth.
  • Big Tech faces earnings test after AI spending spree

    Tech
    Googles modern Kings Cross headquarters showcasing innovative architecture in Londons dynamic tech district
  • Francisco Partners Closes $21 Billion Across Flagship and Agility Funds

    Business Wire
  • Leo Cancer Care Raises $65M Series D to Scale Its Integrated Upright Cancer Care Platform

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook