Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 14 August 2018 7:26 pm  |  Updated:  Tuesday 04 June 2019 7:29 pm

European firms ‘unprepared’ for ‘no deal’ Brexit warn EU business groups

By: Jasper Jolly

Add as a preferred source on Google

European firms are unprepared for a “no deal” Brexit, risking widespread economic damage on both sides of the Channel if the UK leaves the EU in a disorderly manner, European business groups have warned.

A “no deal” scenario would have major consequences for European companies if it means customs procedures, travel arrangements, and product standards legislation no longer function after 29 March 2019, multiple business representatives told Morning Wire

British officials will travel to Brussels on Thursday for two days of talks, with issues on the Irish border and the future relationship between the UK and the EU on the agenda. However, the government has repeatedly warned that “no deal” is an option, with international trade secretary Liam Fox saying there is a three-in-five chance of talks failing.

Business groups across Europe have warned that “no deal” preparations among firms are not advanced, echoing findings from the UK’s Institute of Directors that fewer than a third of British firms have contingency plans in place.

“The awareness that this is a real possibility is not very widespread,” said Anders Ladefoged, head of European policy at the Confederation of Danish Industry. “I don’t think it’s something that keeps them awake at night. Maybe it should.”

Gerard Brady, head of tax and fiscal policy at Ibec, the Irish employers group, warned that “no deal is the worst outcome of all”, raising the possibility of “severe trade disruptions”.

Only around a fifth of Irish companies surveyed by Ibec have contingency plans in place, while 47 per cent are “caught in the headlights” with no plans, Brady said. However, he added that in some industries “the dislocation is so serious there is very little they can do”.

The uncertainty surrounding the outcome of talks with fewer than eight months to go is stopping firms from putting plans in place, said Niklas Bergstrom, head of trade policy at the Confederation of Swedish Enterprise.

“Things change from day to day which makes things and the situation hard to understand for companies; everything is up in the air and we don’t know where it will land,” he said.

“It’s fairly worrying that businesses haven’t prepared more for this” in the UK and the EU, Bergstrom added.

The European Commission last month told firms to prepare for a “no deal” scenario, with checks on goods at the border and transport between the UK and EU “severely impacted”.

The major British business groups are overwhelmingly opposed to leaving without a deal. Edwin Morgan, director of policy at the Institute of Directors, said: “There’s no two ways about it, a no-deal outcome isn’t what businesses want. But as it remains a possibility, providing guidance on what preparations can be made is absolutely crucial, and we are hoping the government’s forthcoming technical notices provide some much-needed details for companies.

“No deal would be bad, but no deal with no planning would be worse.”

Economists almost unanimously agree that “no deal” would damage both the UK and broader EU economies in the immediate term, with Ireland the most exposed economy within the 27 remaining EU nations if trade defaults to World Trade Organisation terms.

The breakdown of trade between the UK and the EU is the “worst scenario imaginable” and would risk leaving British and European companies in a “legal void”, Ladefoged said. “I think a ‘no deal’ scenario is just madness. It doesn’t make sense for anyone.”

European officials have also warned that the need for unanimity between member states and EU parliamentary elections could slow the response to a “no deal” scenario, according to the Times.

The worst damage is expected to be sustained by smaller firms which are unable to hedge their currency exposures or spend significant resources on preparations for multiple outcomes.

A transitional deal which retains the status quo for third countries such as Single Market member Switzerland is “crucial to us”, said Mario Ramo, deputy head of international economic relations at Economie Suisse, a business group. Many smaller firms “remain in the ‘wait and see’ mode” because of the large degree of uncertainty, he said.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Trending Articles

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Can debt-ridden Morrisons become a Big Four supermarket again?

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Burnham predicted to raise taxes for ‘fundamental’ cost of living support

More from Morning Wire

  • Apollo snaps up Easyjet after Castlelake walks away

    Aviation
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • Airtel and Sumup set to kick off London’s fintech IPO test

    Fintech
    Hand holding black SumUp payment card over a white contactless reader on a marble table with breakfast food
  • Astrazeneca explores $400bn megadeal with US rival 

    Markets
    AstraZeneca building exterior with logo, glass facade, UK flag, and wildflowers in foreground.
  • Oil price falls but Trump and Iran clash on negotiations claim

    Markets
    Donald Trump smiling in a blue suit and tie with an American flag pin, US flag in background
  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

    Industrials
    Manchester United minority owner Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s Ineos has announced a “significant strategic investment” into premium apparel brand Castore.
  • FTSE 100 Segro agrees to £14bn takeover by Prologis

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • Shareholder backlash pushes up low-ball London takeover bids

    Markets
    Over 100 major London-listed companies, including Fevertree Drinks and YouGov, have written to the Chancellor warning that the uncertainty surrounding the future of a key tax relief tied to London’s junior stock market is battering investor confidence. 
  • Legora eyes $10bn funding valuation four months after last raise

    AI
    Canada skyline
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook