Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,742.89
0.00%
DAX
25,987.21
-0.40%
CAC 40
8,465.42
-0.43%
STOXX 50
6,431.81
-0.20%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 12 November 2018 4:38 pm  |  Updated:  Monday 03 June 2019 2:57 am

Saudi Aramco boss says listing will take place within three years

By: James Booth

Add as a preferred source on Google

The boss of Saudi Arabia’s national oil company Saudi Aramco said today that its long-awaited float was still in the pipeline.

Chief executive Amin Nasser said the initial public offering (IPO) would “certainly” happen when conditions are right.

Speaking in Abu Dhabi, Nasser said crown prince Mohammed Bin Salman and energy minister Khalid al-Falih were aiming at a listing within three years.

"I think his royal highness and his excellency, the minister, talked about 2021. At the end of the day the government will decide when the market is good," he said to CNBC.

The float of Saudi Aramco, which generated excitement in bourses around the world, was first expected to take place in 2017, but has been progressively delayed to 2018, 2019 and now 2021.

The $2trn (£1.56bn) price tag led to competition between major financial centres, including London, New York and Hong Kong, to land the mammoth listing.

Nasser said the amount of work done in the background to prepare for the listing had been overlooked.

"We have a new concession agreement, the reserves were audited, the board was changed, there was a new tax regime signed with the government. There are a lot of reforms happening to list Saudi Aramco," he said.

Aramo recently said it was buying a stake in Sabic, a Saudi-state-owned chemicals business.

Nasser said Aramco was still in discussion to purchase Sabic and that the deal would further delay any float.

Saudi Arabia has been hitting headlines for the wrong reasons recently after the murder of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul last month.

The murder led to pressure on western companies and governments not to do business with Saudi Arabia and not to attend last month’s Future Investment Initiative (FII) investment forum.

However, Nasser said "During FII, we signed $34bn of deals with our partners, so the appetite is there."

 

 

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Markets & Economics
  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Markets

Related Topics

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

More from Morning Wire

  • Fifa crisis: Uefa exec Nasser Al-Khelaifi ‘not interested’ in ousting Infantino

    Sport Business
    Nasser Al-Khelaifi adjusting his tie, speaking to another person in a business setting
  • Exclusive: Wimbledon chiefs ready to defend brand amid Saudi tennis complex similarities

    Sport Business
    A person cleaning the Wimbledon Championships logo, featuring crossed tennis rackets and a ball.
  • Multiply Media Group Expands into Saudi Arabia Through Strategic Partnership with Cenomi Centers and the Launch of BackLite KSA

    Business Wire
  • TOURISE and Oxford Economics Release New Global Report on Tourism Resilience in an Era of Permanent Disruption

    Business Wire
  • Inside Paul Pogba’s Saudi camel racing club Al Haboob

    Sport Business
    Two racing camels with robotic jockeys and numbers on their sides run on a dirt track.
  • Exclusive: Saudi ship struck by Houthis had insurance from Lloyd’s insurance giant

    Insurance
    Rising borrowing costs depicted amid escalating tensions following the Iran war, illustrating economic impact on global ma...
  • Burnham’s cost of living push under threat as oil hits $100

    Markets
    Two men stand in the ocean with multiple oil tankers and cargo ships in the hazy distance.
  • World Cup sponsors could pay price if Infantino’s Fifa sell-off goes ahead

    Sport Business
    Person holding a red FIFA World Cup branded cup and a smartphone, wearing a white shirt and watch
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook