Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,748.16
+0.04%
DAX
25,983.04
0.00%
CAC 40
8,453.09
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,422.06
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 28 January 2019 8:00 am  |  Updated:  Monday 03 June 2019 2:48 am

Sir Philip Green abandons legal action against the Telegraph over legal injunction

By: Joe Curtis

Add as a preferred source on Google

Sir Philip Green has dropped his legal action against the Telegraph over its accusations against him of multiple claims of sexual harassment and racism.

Sir Philip, who denies the allegations, was named in parliament by Lord Peter Hain after an injunction prevented the Telegraph from identifying the businessman after an eight-month investigation.

Read more: Sir Philip Green accuses Lord Hain of colluding with the Telegraph

The Arcadia boss accused the Telegraph of doorstepping current and former staff who had signed non-disclosure agreements, “ causing distress and concern to their families”.

“After careful reflection, Arcadia and Sir Philip have therefore reluctantly concluded that it is pointless to continue with the litigation which has already been undermined by the deliberate and irresponsible actions of Lord Peter Hain, the paid consultant of the Telegraph’s lawyers Gordon Dadds, and risks causing further distress to the Arcadia’s employees,” a statement read.

Sir Philip has reported the Telegraph to the Independent Press Standards Organisation (Ipso) over the alleged approaches to employees who have signed NDAs.

The Topshop mogul had sought to uncover the sources behind the Telegraph’s story, as well as damages for the negative publicity surrounding his naming.

Sir Philip’s lawyers also accused the Telegraph of colluding with Hain to reveal the businessman’s identity.

Hain told Morning Wire last week that this was “a malevolent lie to divert attention from the allegations of sexual harassment and bullying at issue”.

Read more: Sir Philip Green named as man at centre of harassment claims

“Lord Hain used his Parliamentary Privilege to make a statement and allowed the media to inform the public of who was involved in the injunction, without fear of being in contempt of court or of defamation proceedings,” Sir Philip and Arcadia said today.

“As a result, Sir Philip was subjected to a barrage of vicious personal attacks by the media which published allegations that were simply untrue. Sir Philip categorically denies any unlawful racist or sexual behaviour.”

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Media
  • Retail

Related Topics

  • Sir Philip Green

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Andy Burnham pressured to safeguard jury trials after legal backlash

    Legal
    Andy Burnham speaking at a press conference, addressing current events and regional developments, wearing a suit and tie.
  • Britain needs a new Richard Branson

    Opinion
    Richard Branson in a suit, holding an umbrella and bowler hat, smiling in a swimming pool
  • Richard Branson: Support founders to build the next Virgin in Britain

    Opinion
    Richard Branson smiling with arms outstretched in front of a blue HBO Max Branson backdrop
  • Billionaire Easyjet founder in line for £800m payday from takeover

    Markets
    Easygroup boss Stelios hits out after trademark defeat in London
  • Healey revives ‘price-gouging’ threat as cost of living options narrow

    Politics
    Chancellor John Healey smiling, wearing a navy suit, white shirt, and red tie.
  • Gatwick expansion green-lit as court throws out activists’ appeal

    Transport & Infrastructure
    20m passengers have flown through Gatwick this year
  • Former Crystal Palace owner John Textor scores temporary block of Brazilian football club share sale

    Lawsuit
    John Textor says he is ready to sell his stake in Crystal Palace to avoid the club being kicked out of the Europa League due to rules on multi-club ownership.
  • Meet the top lawyer challenging Gianni Infantino’s Fifa power play

    Law
    Gianni Infantino, FIFA President, waves to a crowd with a blue and gold patterned background
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook