Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.30
-0.28%
DAX
26,338.61
-0.38%
CAC 40
8,579.60
-0.66%
STOXX 50
6,530.45
-0.14%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 13 February 2019 5:17 pm  |  Updated:  Monday 03 June 2019 1:08 am

Huawei boss accuses US of launching coordinated smear campaign

By: James Warrington

Add as a preferred source on Google

The rift between Huawei and western governments deepened today after a senior executive at the telecoms firm accused the US of mounting a smear campaign against it.

Huawei chairman Eric Xu slammed US authorities for carrying out a “coordinated geopolitical campaign” against the telecoms firm in a bid to gain ground in its ongoing trade war with China.

Read more: Italy denies it will ban Huawei from 5G rollout

The Chinese tech giant has been mired in controversy in recent months amid fears its equipment could be used for spying – an accusation it denies.

The comments came after US secretary of state Mike Pompeo ramped up the attack on Huawei by warning European allies against using the firm’s technology.

Earlier this week Pompeo told European countries the presence of Huawei technology could compromise diplomatic ties with the US.

But Xu today hit back at the claims, describing them as an “indication that the US government is using a national machine against a small company – as small as a sesame seed.”

Xu told reporters in Shenzhen a ban of Huawei’s equipment in US 5G infrastructure would not impact the company, the Daily Telegraph reported.

“No matter the outcome, it will not have a major impact because we have virtually no business presence there [in the US] and no expectation of a major business presence there,” he said.

Xu, who is one of the company’s three rotating chairman, also played down concerns about potential bans in Australia and New Zealand.

“We certainly don’t expect our 5G equipment to be chosen by all countries,” he said.

Huawei has launched a tongue-in-cheek advertising campaign in New Zealand in a bid to allay fears about the security of its products.

The firm took out full-page adverts in major New Zealand newspapers stating: “5G without Huawei is like rugby without New Zealand.”

Read more: Huawei cannot address UK security concerns for five years

Last week Huawei executive Ryan Ding last week penned a letter to MPs denying claims it would cooperate with Chinese authorities to spy on customers.

But it said the firm needs three to five years to resolve concerns raised in a report by UK security officials last year.

 

 

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • International

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Russian propaganda website hit with record ‘pink slime’ payout at High Court

    Life&Style
    Due to the provided information being incomplete, I am unable to generate specific alt text for the image in question. Ple...
  • Vodafone pushes into legal tech market to co-develop AI platform

    Legal
    Vodafone Group has announced the appointment of Microsoft's Pilar López as its new chief financial officer.
  • Ocado founder Steiner set to quit as boss after board coup

    Retail
    Ocado and Openreach lead push against Congestion charge for electric vans
  • Fifa won’t fix itself – scrap it now and set up a World FA, led by Uefa and South America

    Sport Business
    Reflective FIFA logo sign on a white wall, with green trees mirrored in the letters, under natural light.
  • Vodafone shares jump as French telecoms tycoon becomes top shareholder

    Telecoms
    Vodafone Group has announced the appointment of Microsoft's Pilar López as its new chief financial officer.
  • InterSystems Recognized as a Leader in the Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Enterprise Electronic Health Records

    Business Wire
  • In Jason Arday, Cambridge is discovering the dangers of DEI

    Opinion
    Jason Arday smiling, wearing academic regalia with a blue cap and gown with red accents.
  • Virgin Media slapped with £28m fine for stopping customers cancelling deals

    Telecoms
    Vans parked at a bustling city intersection surrounded by tall buildings and pedestrians, highlighting urban transportatio...
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook