Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.30
-0.28%
DAX
26,338.61
-0.38%
CAC 40
8,579.60
-0.66%
STOXX 50
6,530.45
-0.14%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 04 March 2019 11:34 am  |  Updated:  Monday 03 June 2019 1:24 am

My way or the highway: Interserve stock plunges again as chairman says revised rescue deal is ‘only viable option’

There was more misery for Interserve investors on Monday as shares plummeted nine per cent in morning trading, after chairman Glynn Barker said the firm’s controversial proposed rescue deal is the “only viable option”.

The debt-laden outsourcer put forward a renewed rescue plan last week which doubles investor control, with five per cent of the firm’s equity going to existing shareholders, while the remaining 95 per cent will initially be handed over to the firm’s lenders – RBS, BNP Paribas, HSBC.

Read more: Top Interserve shareholder threatens to sue outsourcer

But shareholders with more than a third of voting rights have already indicated they will reject the deal. If the debt-laden outsourcer cannot pass the plan, it will go into a pre pack administration which will be handled by EY.

Barker wrote in the Sunday Telegraph: “I understand that this is very disappointing outcome for shareholders. I say that in both my capacity as chairman and as a fellow shareholder.

“However, those who believe this is a bad deal drastically underestimate the critical financial situation in which the company finds itself.”

He added: “At the time of writing the directors of Interserve have not received any other proposal which is capable of implementation during the time available.

“Any alternative proposals would of course need the support of our lenders.”

Coltrane Asset Management, a US hedge fund with 27 per cent of the votes, threatened to sue Interserve over the deal last week, launching a virulent attack on way the board has managed the outsourcer.

Shares eventually recovered to 16.9p this morning, around five per cent below Monday’s opening price of 17.6p.

Last week’s proposal is an improvement on the 2.5 per cent offered at the start of February, but is still a “terrible” deal for shareholders in the eyes of Coltrane’s managing partner Mandeep Manku.

Read more: Interserve changes rescue plan as losses hit £111m

Workers at the NHS and the Foreign Office are among Interserve’s 39,000 UK employees, and 70 per cent of its annual £2.9bn turnover comes from the government.

Chief executive Debbie White will hold meetings with the firm’s major shareholders in coming weeks in a bid to secure the 50 per cent approval of the plan at a vote on 15 March that is needed for it to go ahead.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • Company
  • Interserve

Trending Articles

  • Nanochon Receives Regulatory Approval from Panamá’s Ministry of Health to Initiate First-in-Human Clinical Study of Chondrograft™

  • Analysis: What would Todd Boehly and Mark Walter stake sales mean for Chelsea?

  • We take a food and drink Odyssey through the Square Mile

  • Paramount-Warner Bros deal faces ‘sufficient competition’, says CMA

  • Watchdog takes aim at lawyers blaming juniors for AI blunders

More from Morning Wire

  • Thames Water to run out of money by end of the year

    Water
    Thames Water creditors have made a last-ditch offer for a rescue deal.
  • From crown jewel to €180m courtroom battle: The investor revolt targeting Atos

    Markets
    Atos logo prominently displayed on a modern office building, highlighting its corporate presence and technological expertise.
  • Thames Water creditors expect Burnham talks despite legal contigency plans

    Politics
    Burnham cityscape at sunset with historic buildings and bustling streets, highlighting the vibrant urban landscape
  • Thames Water creditors offer government ‘golden share’ to fend off nationalisation

    Water
    Thames Water infrastructure with pipes and maintenance workers, highlighting water management efforts in London
  • Thames Water in the dark as Burnham mulls embattled utility’s future

    Politics
    Thames Water creditors have made a last-ditch offer for a rescue deal.
  • Ocado founder Steiner set to quit as boss after board coup

    Retail
    Ocado and Openreach lead push against Congestion charge for electric vans
  • Thames Water creditors open door to public control under Burnham

    Politics
    Thames Water infrastructure with pipes and valves, highlighting water management in urban areas amidst ongoing utility dis...
  • Thames Water faces fresh threat to survival after pensions regulation breach

    Water
    Thames Water infrastructure with pipes and maintenance workers, highlighting water management efforts in London
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook