Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 26 March 2019 4:48 pm  |  Updated:  Monday 03 June 2019 1:08 am

Millions from London Capital & Finance flowed through accounts of four men, say administrators

By: James Booth

Add as a preferred source on Google

Millions of pounds of money invested in collapsed mini-bond company London Capital & Finance flowed through the accounts of four men, the administrators report said today.

The report said Andy Thomson – LC&F’s chief executive, Simon Hume-Kendall – the chairman of one its biggest borrower London Oil & Gas, Elten Barker – who was a partner in London Oil & Gas’s parent group, and Spencer Golding – whose business received over £12m from LC&F, were in “the personal possession or control of” multiple millions of pounds of investors money.

Read more: Nicky Morgan calls for probe into collapse of London Capital & Finance

Hume-Kendall and Thomson have agreed to pay this money into an escrow account for the benefit of bondholders to be returned if the bondholders receive full repayment from the assets of LC&F.

Golding and Barker have been asked to commit to the same arrangement but have not yet responded, the report said.

“There are a number of highly suspicious transactions involving a small group of connected people which have led to large sums of the bondholders’ money ending up in their personal possession or control. We are pressing these people to return those funds to us for the benefit of the bondholders and failing this we will pursue those individuals, as appropriate, for recovery of those sums,” the report said.

Read more: Fraud office launches investigation into London Capital & Finance

LC&F went into administration in January after the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) found its advertising had been misleading.

The company had 11,605 bondholders who invested £236m into 14,000 mini-bonds.

That money was then lent by LC&F to a small number of borrowers.

The company employed an agent called Surge to raise money from the bondholders, paying that agent 25 per cent of the funds raised, equivalent to £60m.

The administrators estimate bondholders could receive just 20 per cent of their money back.

The FCA and the Serious Fraud Office are both investigating the collapse of the company, with the SFO having made four arrests.

None of the individuals named were available for comment.

 

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Jobs and Money

Categories

  • Investing
  • Money

Related Topics

  • FCA

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Barclays in legal battle with MFS administrators over part of £160m holding

    Banking
    Barclays bank exterior with logo as it announces mortgage rate cuts amidst upcoming interest rate decision.
  • Liverpool and LA Lakers deals set new bar for sport investment

    Sport Business
    Rows of yellow Lakers jerseys with 77 on seats in a dark basketball arena.
  • Revealed: Natwest banked company used by MFS founder to ‘siphon off’ funds

    Banking
    Hand holding a NatWest debit card with a colorful design, blurred NatWest logo in the background.
  • Former Crystal Palace owner John Textor scores temporary block of Brazilian football club share sale

    Lawsuit
    John Textor says he is ready to sell his stake in Crystal Palace to avoid the club being kicked out of the Europa League due to rules on multi-club ownership.
  • Todd Boehly and Mark Walter to sell stakes in Chelsea?

    Sport Business
    Football fans protest in the street holding a banner: Blueco Clearlake Boehly Wyss Feliciano & Eghbali Youre Destroying Ou...
  • Burnham’s devolution drive could ‘push 90,000 jobs out of London’

    Economics
    In 2022, rolling Tube strikes led to massive queues for crowded buses. (Photo by Chris J Ratcliffe/Getty Images)
  • Hammersmith Bridge is a test for Burnham’s place-based growth

    Opinion
    Hammersmith Bridge closed in 2021 with fencing, banners, and traffic cones blocking access to the walkway.
  • Illegal Premier League betting could hit £1bn within year

    Sport Business
    Close-up of the shining Premier League trophy with red ribbons, set against a blurred stadium background.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook