Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,737.96
-0.11%
DAX
26,402.18
-0.14%
CAC 40
8,597.78
-0.45%
STOXX 50
6,543.49
+0.06%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 25 April 2019 2:01 pm  |  Updated:  Monday 03 June 2019 12:32 am

Government ‘cannot exclude’ criminal investigation into Huawei leak

By: James Warrington

Add as a preferred source on Google

The government has refused to rule out a criminal investigation into leaks from a security meeting about the role of Chinese tech firm Huawei in the UK’s 5G network.

Culture secretary Jeremy Wright today slammed the “unacceptable” leak of confidential information, which has prompted calls for an inquiry into a potential breach of the Official Secrets Act.

Read more: Tory party divided over Huawei’s involvement in 5G network

“We cannot exclude the possibility of a criminal investigation here,” Wright said, responding to an urgent question in parliament.

“I do not think that the motivation for this leak matters in the slightest. This was unacceptable and it is corrosive to the ability to deliver good government.”

Leaked details of a meeting of the National Security Council (NSC) earlier this week revealed the UK’s plans to ban Huawei from core parts of the country’s 5G network but allow it in non-core areas.

Wright said the leak, which is believed to be the first since the NSC was founded in 2010, compromised the ability of the committee to discuss matters of national security.

The disclosures have sparked outrage among Tory MPs, who have called for a criminal investigation.

In a letter to cabinet secretary Sir Mark Sedwill, Foreign Affairs Select Committee chair Tom Tugendhat said he was “deeply disturbed” to learn of the government’s decision via the media.

“It is essential that an inquiry is undertaken with immediate effect, not least to reassure our partners of our commitment to maintaining the secrecy of the information we share,” he wrote.

Read more: Huawei ‘will be blocked’ from UK’s core 5G network

Former defence secretary Sir Michael Fallon also waded into the debate, saying an inquiry was not enough and the police should be brought in to investigate the leaks.

A government spokesperson declined to comment on leaks or leak inquiries.

 

 

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Politics
  • Tech

Related Topics

Trending Articles

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • FTSE 100 Live: Stocks rise as Trump threatens to declare Strait of Hormuz as US territory

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Why HMRC is huge Premier League transfer window tax headache

    Sport Business
    Two jubilant soccer players in white England jerseys celebrate a goal on the field.
  • Former Southern Water boss charged with conspiracy to defraud

    Law
    Southern Water safety sign on a chain link fence, detailing required PPE like hard hats and safety boots.
  • Calls for Argentina to be banned from World Cup over Falklands banner

    Sport Business
    Business professionals engaged in a collaborative meeting at a conference room discussing strategic growth opportunities
  • Rachel Reeves’ sister takes top legal role in Burnham’s Cabinet overhaul

    Politics
    Close-up of a business professionals hands typing on a laptop keyboard with financial charts on screen
  • Lisa Nandy has set a terrible precedent by flouncing off Twitter

    Opinion
    Culture secretary Lisa Nandy has warned that the limbo over David Kogan’s appointment as head of the Independent Football Regulator is “obviously having real-world consequences”.
  • From crown jewel to €180m courtroom battle: The investor revolt targeting Atos

    Markets
    Atos logo prominently displayed on a modern office building, highlighting its corporate presence and technological expertise.
  • Natwest boss becomes latest City figure caught in AI social media scam

    Banking
    NatWest building exterior with logo, highlighting corporate presence and architecture on a business news website.
  • Tiktok ‘confident’ ahead of Ofcom child safety probe

    Tech
    Tiktok appeals to overturn US ban in a broader battle for tech regulation
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook