Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.30
-0.28%
DAX
26,338.61
-0.38%
CAC 40
8,579.60
-0.66%
STOXX 50
6,530.45
-0.14%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 16 May 2019 12:55 pm  |  Updated:  Wednesday 05 June 2019 8:46 am

Huawei poses a risk to national security and should be banned, says former spy chief

By: James Warrington

Add as a preferred source on Google

Allowing Chinese tech firm Huawei to participate in the UK’s 5G network poses an unnecessary risk to national security, the former head of MI6 has warned.

Sir Richard Dearlove has called for a total ban on Huawei, warning that no Chinese company could be free from the influence of the communist state.

Read more: Huawei lashes out at US as Trump declares tech emergency

“To place China in a potentially advantageous exploitative position in the UK’s future telecommunications systems is a risk, however remote it may seem at the moment, we simply do not need to take,” he wrote in a foreword to a major report by foreign policy think tank the Henry Jackson Society.

The government has come under fire after it emerged the UK will block Huawei from core parts of its 5G network, but allow it to participate in non-core areas such as antennas.

But the report has rejected the UK’s mooted strategy, which was leaked from a national security meeting last month, as “no solution at all”.

The intervention came hours after US President Donald Trump signed an executive order effectively banning American companies from doing business with Huawei.

Dearlove, who served as head of MI6 between 1999 and 2004, said the UK should not be influenced by potential economic costs and urged the government to blackball the Chinese company.

“I very much hope there is time for the UK government to reconsider the Huawei decision,” he said. “Furthermore, a post-Brexit government must not worry about giving offence to China by going back on the decision.”

The government has said it is yet to reach a final verdict on the Huawei saga, but has insisted it would not do anything to jeopardize national security.

The issue has sparked conflict within the Cabinet and an inquiry into the security meeting leak led to the sacking of defence secretary Gavin Williamson.

Foreign Affairs Select Committee member Bob Seely, who co-authored the report, slammed the government’s approach to Huawei, dismissing the idea that any risks could be mitigated.

“The assurances relied on by government to justify Huawei’s entry into the 5G are, in our considered view, insufficiently robust to justify the associated risks,” he said.

The report called for the UK to follow the example of Australia, which has banned Huawei, and warned it is “unclear” what damage the decision could do to the so-called Five Eyes intelligence-sharing agreement.

A spokesperson for Huawei dismissed the report, describing it as “long on politically-motivated insinuation but short on fact”.

Read more: Trump set to sign executive order banning Huawei

“We are an independent, employee-owned company which does not take instructions from the Chinese government. In 32 years, there have been no significant cyber security issues with our equipment.”

The spokesperson added: “We hope and expect that any decision on Huawei’s participation in Britain’s build-out of 5G networks will be based on solid evidence, rather than on unfounded speculation and groundless accusations”

 

 

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Tech

Related Topics

  • Brexit
  • Donald Trump
  • People

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Government urged to refuse £1bn British Steel repayment to Chinese former owner 

    Politics
    Labour's Jonathan Reynolds unveiled the industrial strategy in June.
  • Triumph for Tesla as top court rules 5G licensing case should be heard in UK

    Lawsuit
    Tech billionaire Elon Musk has been asked to serve in Donald Trump’s cabinet. (Photo by Apu Gomes/Getty Images)
  • China’s mega London embassy to go ahead after High Court blocks challenge

    Politics
    Protesters hold signs saying STOP Chinese Secret Policing in the UK and Safeguard National Security
  • Airspan Delivers Revenue Growth and Profitability in First Half 2026

    Business Wire
  • Government intervenes on foreign takeover bids for UK defence firms

    Industrials
    UK defence strategy meeting, officials discussing military advancements and security measures in a conference room setting
  • ‘Absurd’: Government seeks quantum tech chief – no experience necessary

    Tech
    Advanced quantum computer with intricate circuits and glowing interface, illustrating cutting-edge technology innovations
  • Government nationalises British Steel

    Industrials
    Britains steel industry facing challenges with potential shutdowns and job losses, highlighting economic impact.
  • Breaking up the science department is a setback for Britain’s AI ambitions

    Opinion
    Kanishka Narayan, wearing glasses and a suit, speaks at London Tech Week, with the event logo visible.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook