Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,748.16
+0.04%
DAX
25,983.04
-0.42%
CAC 40
8,453.09
-0.57%
STOXX 50
6,422.06
-0.35%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 21 September 2021 4:06 pm  |  Updated:  Saturday 30 October 2021 11:27 pm

£80m in Covid contracts lawsuit: Matt Hancock’s personal WhatsApp and emails to be scrutinised

By: Michiel Willems

Add as a preferred source on Google
Health Secretary Matt Hancock Touts UK's Vaccination Success
Hancock has been a supporter of crypto-technology for some time, suggesting the government use blockchain tech to monitor the distribution of grants back in 2016.

The personal WhatsApp messages and emails from former Health Secretary Matt Hancock will be searched as part of a High Court battle over millions of pounds’ worth of antibody test contracts.

The Good Law Project has brought legal action against the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC), claiming that more than £80m in contracts for antibody tests were awarded unlawfully.

The bid covers three contracts awarded to Abingdon Health which the group claims were given in April, June and August 2020 but were not published until October 2020.

“The contracts were awarded directly, and secretly, without any advertisement or competition,” the Good Law Project’s barrister Joseph Barrett said in written arguments.

The group also argues that the contracts “comprise very substantial unlawful public subsidies”.

High Court

On Tuesday, the group asked the High Court to order searches of Hancock’s Government email accounts and his “non-Government communications systems” used for Government business – thought to include WhatsApps.

Hancock had been health secretary since July 2018 until he resigned in June after photos of him kissing an aide in his departmental office, in breach of coronavirus rules, were published.

Claiming Hancock was the “ultimate decision-maker” in awarding the contract to Abingdon Health, Barrett told the court that Hancock had used multiple non-government emails for Government business. However, no searches had been conducted and no documents had been disclosed.

Barrett alleged that DHSC had “either destroyed or otherwise put beyond recovery or refused to search or disclose almost all of the repositories and documents of the four most senior and important individuals in the case”.

Philip Moser QC, for DHSC which is contesting the claim, argued Hancock had a “limited” role in the contracts.

“There is no reasonable basis on which to seek such disclosure, because Hancock’s involvement in the matters which are in issue in these proceedings was limited and, in any event, any communications from the then Secretary of State would have been caught by the existing disclosure exercise,” he said.

Justice Fraser ordered that both Hancock’s Government and non-Government communications that were used for Government business should be searched for relevant material.

Read more

UK government backs British business to get slice of £33bn in Morocco World Cup contracts

Getty Images logo displayed on a modern digital screen, representing media and stock photography in a business context.

The judge said: “It seems to me that even though his involvement has been described as ‘limited’, ‘limited’ can still be quite significant.”

He also ordered that ex-health minister Lord Bethell must provide a witness statement over the use of personal devices for Government business.

The Conservative peer left the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) last week following calls to resign over his use of a personal email account rather than official communication channels.

Moser said in written arguments: “There is no evidence whatsoever in the documents relied upon by the claimants … that Lord Bethell, or others, used personal communications devices to communicate substantively with Hancock in relation to Abingdon.”

However, he added that the former minister had agreed to provide a witness statement and to have his devices searched.

He said: “Lord Bethell has consented to a search of three personal email accounts and keywords have been agreed with the claimant. He has also consented to have his personal mobile telephone devices searched.”

Government lawyers previously said the old phone had been “broken” six months ago and that data held on it was not contained on the replacement.

The lost information was reported to have included WhatsApp and SMS messages.

The court also heard that Lord Bethell’s phone is currently with “disclosure consultants” to determine whether his WhatsApp messages can be retrieved.

A spokesperson for the former health secretary said: “Hancock had no involvement in the awarding of this contract, or indeed any other contracts. They were all awarded through formal processes, as the National Audit Office has confirmed.

“At the time, everyone in the Department of Health and Social Care was working every hour to respond to the pandemic and boost testing capacity. Any suggestion of wrongdoing is completely false.”

The full trial is due to take place from December 6.

Read more

Burnham’s plea to City chiefs: let a young person shadow you at work

Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, smiling and wearing glasses outdoors.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • Matt Hancock

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

More from Morning Wire

  • UK government backs British business to get slice of £33bn in Morocco World Cup contracts

    Sport Business
    Getty Images logo displayed on a modern digital screen, representing media and stock photography in a business context.
  • Burnham’s plea to City chiefs: let a young person shadow you at work

    Politics
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, smiling and wearing glasses outdoors.
  • Iksuda receives US FDA IND clearance for IKS04

    Business Wire
  • ‘Good growth in every postcode’ is a woeful catchphrase

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham adjusting his tie, overlooking white cliffs and the sea on a sunny day
  • Trainees ‘exploiting’ aspiring lawyers by monetising advice on social media

    Legal
    Smartphone screen displaying Social Media folder with Facebook, WeChat, Telegram, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat app icons.
  • Net zero and DEI targets cut from procurement rules as firms pressed to raise pay and hire NEETs

    Politics
    Louise Haigh, Andy Burnham, and another man smiling in front of a dark door with 10 visible.
  • Gradiant Expands US Operations with New Leadership, Office Openings, and Long-Term Services Contracts

    Business Wire
  • Vodafone defends migrant SIM scheme after Reform threat

    Telecoms
    Zia Yusuf at a business event, wearing a suit and tie, delivering a keynote speech in a modern conference setting
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook