Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 10 March 2026 3:17 pm  |  Updated:  Tuesday 10 March 2026 3:18 pm

£9bn World Cup too big to be derailed by Middle East conflict, says Fifa chief

By: Frank Dalleres

Sports Editor

Add as a preferred source on Google
GettyImages 2247356158: Business professionals in a conference room discussing industry trends and strategies.
Fifa says the 2026 World Cup will not be affected by the conflict

Fifa has ruled out the prospect of the escalating conflict in the Middle East posing a threat to this summer’s World Cup and is still hopeful that Iran will take up their place.

The US and Israel’s attacks and Iran’s retaliatory strikes have caused huge upheaval in the region just three months out from the first World Cup to feature 48 teams.

It has left Iran on the brink of pulling out of the tournament, while other nations, including their neighbours Iraq, are facing difficulties fulfilling their remaining qualifying matches.

Despite the conflict having no end in sight, Fifa chief operating officer Heimo Schirgi insists that a World Cup that is expected to generate $12bn (£9bn) for the governing body will go ahead.

“At some stage, we will have a ​resolution, and the World Cup will go on, obviously,” he said. “The World Cup is too big.”

Fifa hopeful Iran will take up World Cup place

Iran’s domestic turmoil led the head of its football federation to last week cast doubt on their participation in the World Cup, the majority of which is set to take place in the US. 

But withdrawing unilaterally would likely incur a fine from Fifa and leave Iran at risk of a ban from future tournaments.

Schirgi said: “We hope that everyone can participate that has qualified.”

Iraq are due to play Bolivia or Suriname in a World Cup play-off later this month but have asked for the tie in Mexico to be postponed as Iraqi airspace is likely to remain closed until then.

If Iran are withdrawn, however, Iraq would be among the leading contenders to take their place as the next best ranked team in the Asian qualifying programme.

It is the latest issue to cloud preparations for this World Cup, following concerns over the Trump administration’s immigration policy and cartel-related violence in co-host Mexico.

Read more

Holiday Inn owner suffers Middle East slowdown as Iran war hits tourism

IHG opened 17,500 rooms across 98 hotels throughout the quarter.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Sport
  • News

Categories

  • Sport Business
  • Business
  • Football
  • Sport

People & Organisations

  • 2026 World Cup
  • Donald Trump
  • Fifa
  • football
  • Heimo Schirgi
  • iran conflict

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Holiday Inn owner suffers Middle East slowdown as Iran war hits tourism

    Hospitality
    IHG opened 17,500 rooms across 98 hotels throughout the quarter.
  • Trump regime distances itself from Infantino as under-fire Fifa boss faces calls to quit

    Sport Business
    Gianni Infantino and Donald Trump holding the FIFA World Cup trophy
  • Trump-linked Kushner and ex-Disney boss to buy £9bn LA Lakers from Chelsea co-owner

    Sport Business
    Luka Dončić in a purple Lakers jersey with number 77, smiling on a basketball court
  • Wenger rubbishes Infantino sell-off plan as senior Fifa figures desert president

    Sport Business
    Arsène Wenger, FIFAs Chief of Global Football Development, in a suit and tie, looking serious.
  • Infantino crisis shows football needs independent non-exec, says ex-Fifa advisor

    Sport Business
    Three people view the FIFA sign and official name in front of a green soccer field.
  • Fifa crisis: Europe, North America and Asia unite to call for Infantino to quit

    Sport Business
    Gianni Infantino, FIFA President, raising both hands, wearing a suit with a World Cup pin.
  • Trump speaks up for Infantino at last as Fifa boss fights world football rebellion

    Sport Business
    Donald Trump in a white USA hat, blue suit, and white shirt, making a fist, with a presidential seal visible
  • Mexico breaks ranks and dents Uefa-led bid to oust embattled Fifa kingpin Infantino

    Sport Business
    Gianni Infantino, FIFA President, smiling as golden confetti falls around him
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook