Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,750.47
+0.21%
DAX
26,081.50
-0.18%
CAC 40
8,515.04
+0.07%
STOXX 50
6,449.44
-0.29%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 11 November 2014 2:47 pm  |  Updated:  Friday 07 June 2019 4:26 pm

Africa Cup of Nations 2015: Morocco banned from hosting tournament following Ebola fears

By: Sarah Spickernell

Add as a preferred source on Google

Morocco will no longer host next year's Africa Cup of Nations football tournament, which organisers have said will go ahead despite the Ebola epidemic in west Africa.
 
The north African nation demanded that the Confederation of African Football (CAF), which oversees the biennial tournament, postpones the game from 2015 to 2016 because of fears over the spread of the disease. 
 
According to the latest figures from the World Health organisation (WHO),  an estimated 4,960 people have been killed since the outbreak started in December last year. 
 
Morocco said it was concerned that an influx of foreign fans could cause the disease to spread there, but the CAF reacted by taking the tournament away from Morocco and also banning its participation in the event.
 
The Africa Cup of Nations is considered to be the continent's most important football tournament, and serves as an opportunity for young African players to show off their skills to European teams. 
 
It is not yet known which African country will take over as host nation, but Egypt has already stated it will not be taking on the responsibility for “economic and political reasons”. 
 
“These applications are currently under review, and the executive committee will finalise the selection of the successful national association shortly and confirm the place and date of the draw of the final tournament at the same time,” the CAF said in a statement.
 
The 16-team tournament is scheduled for kick-off on 17 January 2015, with qualifying matches taking place on Friday and Saturday this week.
 
Morocco has been given until Saturday to reverse its demand and go ahead with hosting the event in 2015.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • Ebola

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

More from Morning Wire

  • UK government backs British business to get slice of £33bn in Morocco World Cup contracts

    Sport Business
    Getty Images logo displayed on a modern digital screen, representing media and stock photography in a business context.
  • Motsepe backed to succeed Fifa’s Infantino by South African minister

    Sport Business
    GettyImages 2282672294 depicts a significant event related to the articles context, showcasing key elements and atmosphere.
  • South Africa sport minister on Olympics bid, Formula 1, Springboks and LIV Golf

    Sport Business
    Rugby player in green jersey with Pic n Pay 13 shaking hands with a smiling man in a suit and tie
  • Mexico breaks ranks and dents Uefa-led bid to oust embattled Fifa kingpin Infantino

    Sport Business
    Gianni Infantino, FIFA President, smiling as golden confetti falls around him
  • Burnham says Infantino ‘wrong man’ to lead Fifa as Brits back World Cup boycott plans

    Sport Business
    Andy Burnham speaking at a podium with microphones, gesturing with his hands, crowd in background
  • World Cup Quarter-Finals: Best Free Bets & Expert Predictions

    Betting
    World Cup quarter-final free bets promotion with betting odds and vibrant graphics featuring flags of competing nations
  • What can the Rugby World Cup learn from US nailing of Fifa World Cup?

    Sport Business
    Getty Images logo displayed on a digital screen against a blurred background, highlighting the brands global presence
  • Exclusive: Criticised World Cup referee was suffering extreme heat strain, data shows

    Sport Business
    Soccer referee in an orange FIFA uniform with a headset, raising his hand on the field during a match
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook