Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 25 September 2024 6:55 am  |  Updated:  Wednesday 25 September 2024 7:35 am

Ahead of the Game: ECB threatens to withhold Hundred franchise over Hampshire sale

By: Matt Hughes

Add as a preferred source on Google
The ECB may take Southern Brave away from Hampshire if the county's sale price to Delhi Capitals is deemed too low
The ECB may take Southern Brave away from Hampshire if the county's sale price to Delhi Capitals is deemed too low

Hampshire have been warned they will be blocked from taking control of the Southern Brave if prospective new owners Delhi Capitals do not pay a fair market value for the Hundred franchise.

In a significant intervention that could also apply to Yorkshire, who are in takeover talks with Sunrisers Hyderabad, the England and Wales Cricket Board has told counties it will not gift its 51 per cent stake in the related Hundred team to them if the other 49 per cent does not fetch a high enough price in the auction. 

The threat of Hampshire being stripped of their Hundred team entirely, with the Southern Brave franchise moved to another area of the country, has also been raised to stop Delhi seeking to buy into the competition on the cheap. 

“The ECB has robust measures in place to stop carpetbaggers,” a source with knowledge of the sales process told Morning Wire 

“This is not a buy-one-get-one-free process. The Hundred franchise could be taken elsewhere if necessary.”

Hampshire have agreed a £120m deal to sell the club to Delhi’s owners, GMR Group, which has sparked fears at Lord’s that the Indian infrastructure company is seeking to gain control of a Hundred franchise on the cheap. 

The ECB is selling off 49 per cent of the eight Hundred franchises to private investors, with the remaining 51 per cent to be gifted to the host venues, including Hampshire. 

In recent talks with the ECB however, Hampshire have been told that they will only get their 51 per cent stake in the Southern Brave after the sales process has been completed – and on the proviso that the governing body gets fair market value for their 49 per cent. 

The fair market value assessment will be conducted by the American bank Raine Group, with the threat of losing the Southern Brave being kept in reserve if Hampshire’s new owners don’t play ball. 

Three-horse race for pool betting

The Tote is facing a battle on two fronts to keep control of pool betting at racecourses, with racing’s stakeholders divided over a three-way fight to deliver fixed-priced punting at racecourses. 

Colossus Bets made a multi-million-pound offer last week to replace the Tote Group, and Morning Wire can reveal that the ARC [Arena Racing Company] group of courses has held talks about splitting from the rest of racing and setting up its own pool betting service.

The ARC courses are understood to be giving serious consideration to going it alone, as they believe they have the capability to offer their own pool betting.

The 16 courses own a 45 per cent stake in technology firm i-neda Limited, which provides betting software and operational services to the betting industry, with billionaire businessman and Celtic’s largest shareholder Dermot Desmond also owning 45 per cent of the company.

Read more

In defence of The Hundred, by co-chair of Welsh Fire

Chris Woakes, cricketer in a red uniform, raising his arms in celebration on the field.

While it does not own the most prestigious courses, ARC is responsible for putting on around 45 per cent of the UK’s race meetings each year so it is a major player. During talks with the Tote Group and other courses, ARC is understood to have stressed that it will only renew if its own i-neda software is used at its courses.

Senior figures at several ARC courses are convinced that by using their own technology they could develop their own pool-betting brand to replace the Tote at their tracks.

There is some frustration among the ARC group that they are denied access to the lucrative World Pool, which is run by the Tote in conjunction with the Hong Kong Jockey Club. 

Up to 20 of the 28 World Pool meetings picked by the Hong Kong Jockey Club for global pool betting each year take place in the UK, with the large volume of extra betting generating between £500,000 and £800,000 in additional revenue for racecourses whose fixtures are selected.

Most of their courses are smaller tracks such as Lingfield Park and Wolverhampton, although the classic St Leger meeting at Doncaster takes place at an ARC-owned track.

The current contract with the Tote Group expires in October 2025 and the racecourses are hopeful that a resolution over the next deal can be reached by next month. Colossus is understood to have offered the 55 courses between £15m and £20-a-year for exclusive rights to provide pool betting.

Chelsea owners poach from Liverpool counterparts

Chelsea’s majority shareholder Clearlake Capital has secured a significant coup by recruiting a senior executive from Fenway Sports Management, whose parent company owns Premier League rivals Liverpool. 

American lawyer David Beetson has joined Clearlake as managing director with a brief to work across all of their investments, but has told sources that a significant amount of his time will be devoted to Chelsea. 

Beetson spent more than 10 years working for the Fenway Sports Group subsidiary, although he had little involvement with Liverpool, with most of his work focused on baseball’s Boston Red Sox and the Pittsburgh Penguins ice hockey.

Big fight pay-per-view buys kept under wraps

The viewing figures for Daniel Dubois’ stunning world heavyweight knockout of Anthony Joshua at Wembley last weekend are proving elusive, with even the broadcasters refusing to share them with each other. 

The IBF title fight was available to buy via three different networks in the UK – Sky Sports, TNT Sport and Dazn – and given they regard their data as commercially sensitive, collating viewing figures is all but impossible. 

All three broadcasters will have been hit by the continued growth of illegal streaming, however, with a report for online intelligence company YieldSec revealing that there were more than 774,000 illegal views of Joshua-Dubois, 87 per cent of them in the UK.

Read more

Not enough bums in Brum: Why so many empty seats at European Athletics Championships?

Runners from Great Britain, France, Netherlands, Germany, and Italy competing in a track event.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Sport

Categories

  • Sport Business

People & Organisations

  • Anthony Joshua
  • Clearlake Capital
  • DAZN
  • England and Wales Cricket Board
  • Fenway Sports Group
  • Hampshire County Cricket Club
  • Sky
  • Southern Brave
  • The Raine Group
  • Yorkshire County Cricket Club

Related Topics

  • Boxing
  • Cricket
  • Football
  • Football finance
  • Premier League football
  • Sport business
  • The Hundred

Trending Articles

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Can debt-ridden Morrisons become a Big Four supermarket again?

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Burnham predicted to raise taxes for ‘fundamental’ cost of living support

More from Morning Wire

  • In defence of The Hundred, by co-chair of Welsh Fire

    Sport Business
    Chris Woakes, cricketer in a red uniform, raising his arms in celebration on the field.
  • Not enough bums in Brum: Why so many empty seats at European Athletics Championships?

    Sport Business
    Runners from Great Britain, France, Netherlands, Germany, and Italy competing in a track event.
  • India’s £300m Commonwealth Games dress rehearsal for 2036 Olympics

    Sport Business
    Indian athlete in blue tracksuit receives a white scroll from a woman in a green traditional dress, flanked by two men in ...
  • Inside the London workshop that made Hundred, FA Cup and World Cup trophies

    Sport Business
    Thomas Lyte designer polishing intricate gold ceremonial helmet detail with a rotary tool.
  • Everyone’s welcome: The UK holiday cottages that are truly inclusive

    Life&Style
    Modern timber-clad holiday lodge in Hampshire with a spacious deck, outdoor dining, and BBQ grill. Perfect UK staycation.
  • Trump-linked Kushner and ex-Disney boss to buy £9bn LA Lakers from Chelsea co-owner

    Sport Business
    Luka Dončić in a purple Lakers jersey with number 77, smiling on a basketball court
  • Cricket Betting Sites 2026 – Best Cricket Betting Sites UK

    Betting
    Cricket enthusiasts engaging with top online betting platforms, showcasing user-friendly interfaces and live match updates.
  • Alfasigma to Acquire Nordic Group B.V. Expanding Its Specialty Care Portfolio and Presence in Europe

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook