Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,818.44
+0.65%
DAX
26,115.30
+0.51%
CAC 40
8,478.87
+0.30%
STOXX 50
6,451.55
+0.46%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 08 November 2016 2:14 pm

Airbus faces a race to meet jet delivery target for 2016

By: Rebecca Smith

Add as a preferred source on Google

The clock is ticking on Airbus meeting its order target for the year.

It's just released its updated orders for 2016 and the race is on. Taking the month's bookings and cancellations into account, Airbus net orders for 2016 came to 395 aircraft through to 31 October. It sold 19 aircraft for the month, bringing new business to 585 jets, so it's still 85 short of its target for the year, with two months to go.

Last month, Airbus Group finance director Harald Wilhelm said the company expects to deliver more than 670 commercial jets (beating a restated target of 650). 

Cumulative deliveries included 30 A350 jets, so it's now facing the task of more than 10 a month to reach its annual target of over 50.

Read more: Airbus to bring operations tighter under its wing

Three A380s were received by airlines during October: two for Emirates and one for Asiana Airlines. In July, the company announced it was to cut production of the super-jumbo, more than halving the rate at which it produced them. It plans to deliver just 12 of the aircraft a year from 2018, down from last year's level of 27 a year.

Now it hasn't been the easiest year for Airbus so far. In August, it was announced the UK Serious Fraud Office had opened a criminal investigation into allegations of fraud, bribery and corruption in the civil aviation business of Airbus. The allegations relate to irregularities concerning third party consultants. That's ongoing and the SFO has said it can't say how long the investigation will take.

And last month, Airbus reported its third quarter results, noting supplier headaches and a switch to newer models buffeting Airbus' profit, which fell 21 per cent.

Read more: Airbus profit nosedives 21 per cent

There have been difficulties in the supply chain for its A350 and A320neo jets. But the company still maintained its guidance for full-year earnings to match last year's level. It needed to supply 24 jets in the final three months of the year to achieve the goal of 50 aircraft.

Yesterday Arconic Inc. announced its first major supply deal: a $1bn contract with Airbus, to supply the group with aluminium sheet and plate. Much of the aluminium sold will go toward making Airbus' A320.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Trending Articles

  • South Africa need cash from New Zealand Tests but All Blacks fans not like Lions

  • Prince Harry hit with £9.5m Daily Mail legal bill

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn salt plant

  • Billionaire Bill Ackman donates £300m to brain research centre after daughter suffers haemorrhage

  • UK economy’s rebound fails to stem two years of mass job losses 

More from Morning Wire

  • AI, drones and data: Defence giants splash record $4.1bn on tech start-ups

    Tech
    Defence
  • World Cup demand pushes price of private jet charters up 30 per cent

    Sport Business
    GettyImages 1407027682 showcasing a significant moment in current affairs, capturing a key event with impactful visual sto...
  • AI data centres and defence tech lead investment wave

    Tech
    Business professionals in a modern office discussing a strategic plan with charts and graphs displayed on a large screen
  • Babcock and Rolls-Royce stocks rally after Healey appointment

    Industrials
    Defence secretary John Healey is leading calls for further investment in the sector.
  • Which shadowy MoD figures are blocking London’s secret new town?

    Opinion
    Northolt airfield runway with military aircraft in the background under a clear sky, highlighting aviation activity and in...
  • Warehouse tax could threaten high street businesses, Burnham warned

    Retail
    Amazon logo on a building, representing the e-commerce giants brand and corporate presence.
  • Construction sector cuts jobs again as house building slumps

    Industrials
    Rachel Reeves at construction site, inspecting housebuilding progress, highlighting Labours commitment to housing developm...
  • Sadiq Khan’s London plan is not nearly ambitious enough

    Opinion
    The Mayor of London, Sir Sadiq Khan, has this morning announced a £1.4m cash injection for community sport across the capital.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook