Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,728.04
+0.07%
DAX
26,128.36
-0.80%
CAC 40
8,509.36
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,468.17
-0.95%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Wednesday 22 May 2024 2:52 pm  |  Updated:  Wednesday 22 May 2024 3:06 pm

Anglo American rejects new £39bn BHP bid but parties seek deal resolution in the ‘next seven days’

By: Charlie Conchie

City Editor

Add as a preferred source on Google
Anglo American has rejected BHP's request to extend talks
Anglo American has rejected BHP's request to extend talks

Anglo American has agreed to enter talks with rival BHP today despite rejecting its latest £38.6bn bid, potentially paving the way for the mining mega-merger to get over the line.

The latest bid marked a £4bn uplift from its previous rejected offer last week but retains the condition that Anglo carve off its platinum business and South African Kumba operation, which has triggered pushback from the firm and the South African government.

Today’s offer marks a 47 per cent on Anglo American’s valuation on its last day of undisturbed trading in April, prior to the news of BHP’s first bid.

While Anglo has rejected the latest offer as overly “complex”, the firm has said it is willing to engage with the company and has now extended a takeover deadline until 5pm next Wednesday.

“Since the submission of the revised proposal, we have been engaging with Anglo American and its advisors to help mitigate the concerns associated with the implementation of this structure that led to the rejection of the revised proposal,” BHP said in a statement.

“We have made progress on these topics over the course of the engagement so far, and we are hopeful that resolution will be reached in the next seven days.”

In a statement today, Anglo said the latest offer did not address its concerns over “complexity, execution risks, an extended timeline to completion” but it was “willing to continue to engage with BHP and its advisers on this topic”.

The Sydney-listed firm has been hiking its bids for Anglo American over the past month after making an initial unsolicited $31bn offer for the firm in April.

Read more

Glencore targets secondary listing in Australia as London loses mining shine

Glencore corporate headquarters building exterior with the company logo sign, representing the commodities firm.

Last week, the miner lifted that to £34bn but retained its condition that Anglo American carve off its iron ore and platinum business, in an offer that was roundly rebuffed as “highly unattractive” by Anglo American.

London-listed Anglo American has been forced to accelerate its own break-up plans to quell its investors and last week announced a carve off of its De Beers diamond operation, platinum division Amplats, and its coal steel-making business.

While Anglo’s copper mines are seen as its prized asset, the calls to ditch its iron ore business by BHP have proved contentious due to its deep roots in the South African economy and a stake held by the government.

The South African government owns a seven per cent stake in the company through its Public Investment Corporation and has come out firmly against the proposed takeover since it was revealed last month.

“Nobody here views this deal favourably,” said James Lorimer, the shadow minister for mining and natural resources. “Anglo American’s business here was once the jewel in the crown of South Africa’s economy. Under this deal it could be sold off for parts from someone else’s company.”

After Anglo American revealed its break-up plan last week, South Africa’s Public Investment Corporation (PIC) said it was considering whether to back the move and stressed the “mining sector remains a critical part of the South African economy”.

The break-up plans have also been backed by top investor Legal & General Investment Management, which owns a 1.8 per cent stake in the firm.

Read more

FTSE 100 property giant Segro rejects £13.5bn Prologis bid

David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Investing

People & Organisations

  • Anglo American

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Glencore targets secondary listing in Australia as London loses mining shine

    Mining
    Glencore corporate headquarters building exterior with the company logo sign, representing the commodities firm.
  • FTSE 100 property giant Segro rejects £13.5bn Prologis bid

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • Prologis ramps up pressure on FTSE 100 property giant Segro

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • Easyjet extends window for another Castlelake bid

    Aviation
    EasyJet aircraft parked at the airport terminal ready for boarding, featuring distinctive orange branding and clear blue sky.
  • Easyjet agrees to £5.7bn Apollo takeover

    Aviation
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • Mexico breaks ranks and dents Uefa-led bid to oust embattled Fifa kingpin Infantino

    Sport Business
    Gianni Infantino, FIFA President, smiling as golden confetti falls around him
  • Easyjet board reaches agreement over £5.2bn Castlelake takeover

    Markets
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • South Africa sport minister on Olympics bid, Formula 1, Springboks and LIV Golf

    Sport Business
    Rugby player in green jersey with Pic n Pay 13 shaking hands with a smiling man in a suit and tie
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook