Skip to content
Sunday 23 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 14 February 2020 2:50 pm  |  Updated:  Friday 14 February 2020 3:13 pm

Anglo takeover becomes Sirius’ last hope as alternative falls through

By: Edward Thicknesse

Add as a preferred source on Google
Embattled UK miner Sirius Minerals said today that it had dropped an alternative funding scheme to its takeover by Anglo American as it was unviable.

Embattled UK miner Sirius Minerals said today that it had dropped an alternative funding scheme to its takeover by Anglo American as it was unviable.

Last week the firm, which is seeking funds to develop the North Yorkshire polyphalite project, the UK’s largest mine in a generation, said it was exploring potential financing of €680m from investors.

The initial raise would have had to be followed by a further €2.5bn in order to get the mine up to its planned production capacity of 10m tonnes a year.

However, the firm announced today that it had been unable to find an anchor investor to provide the majority of funding for the proposal, meaning the scheme would not go ahead.

This means that if shareholders do not approve Anglo’s takeover, which is widely considered to be at a considerable discount, “there is a high probability that the Sirius Board will place the business into administration or liquidation”, the firm said.

Shares in the firm fell 2.5 per cent today, to 5.27p.

Sign up to Morning Wire’s Midday Update newsletter, delivered to your inbox every lunchtime

Anglo American have agreed a £405m rescue deal with the board of embattled Sirius Minerals, it was announced this morning.

Under the agreement, Sirius shareholders will receive 5.50p for each share, a 34 per cent premium on the British mining firm’s 4.10p closing price on 7 January.

Anglo American said that it had been interested in the project for some time due to the “quality of the underlying asset.”

The polyhalite deposit which is the focus of the project is believed to be the largest high-grade site in the world.

In September the project was thrown into jeopardy when Sirius Minerals was forced to scrap a $500m bond sale and pay back $400m from a separate sale to investors.

Read more

As it happened: Oil prices tumble as Bessent says US-Iran deal imminent; miner stocks rally

Scott Bessent, a man with gray hair and glasses, wearing a blue suit and striped tie, looking to the side.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Markets & Economics

Categories

  • Markets

Related Topics

  • Sirius Minerals

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • As it happened: Oil prices tumble as Bessent says US-Iran deal imminent; miner stocks rally

    Markets
    Scott Bessent, a man with gray hair and glasses, wearing a blue suit and striped tie, looking to the side.
  • Glencore targets secondary listing in Australia as London loses mining shine

    Mining
    Glencore corporate headquarters building exterior with the company logo sign, representing the commodities firm.
  • As it happened: FTSE 100 climbs as markets digest Bessent buyback

    Markets
    Scott Bessent, a man with gray hair and glasses, wearing a blue suit and striped tie, looking to the side.
  • Apollo snaps up Easyjet after Castlelake walks away

    Aviation
    EasyJet airplane at airport terminal with passengers boarding, representing airline industry and travel news updates
  • FTSE 100 Segro agrees to £14bn takeover by Prologis

    Property
    David Sleath, Chief Executive Officer, delivering a speech at a business conference with a focused expression.
  • Easyjet extends window for another Castlelake bid

    Aviation
    EasyJet aircraft parked at the airport terminal ready for boarding, featuring distinctive orange branding and clear blue sky.
  • Reading FC bidder banned by financial watchdog for forging £170m bond portfolio

    Sport Business
    Reading Football Club crest on a blue and white banner, with EST. 1871 visible.
  • Donald Trump is creeping towards a shrewd sanctions policy

    Opinion
    Donald Trump holding a red TRUMP 2028 hat, wearing a tuxedo with an American flag in the background
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook