Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,736.90
+0.08%
DAX
26,132.38
+0.02%
CAC 40
8,521.71
+0.15%
STOXX 50
6,472.41
+0.07%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 12 March 2015 9:58 pm

Antofagasta in water deal with Los Pelambres mine protestors

By: Express KCS

Add as a preferred source on Google

Shares in mining firm Antofagasta were up by 1.36 per cent yesterday, after it announced an agreement had been reached with protestors who were blocking access to its operation at the Los Pelambres mine in Chile.

Normal operations are set to resume in the next few days.

Protests have been ongoing at the site since the end of February, with demonstrators seeking action by Antofagasta subsidiary Los Pelambres and the local government to help alleviate the current drought conditions.

Antofagasta said yesterday that copper production is expected to be reduced by 8,000 tonnes as a result of the protests.

For the past week, Los Pelambres has been in discussions with relevant stakeholders, including the local community, regional authorities and the national government to resolve the situation.

As part of the agreement established, Los Pelambres has agreed to contribute funding for the study of a desalination plant project.

The firm also agreed to contribute funds to complete studies for the construction of a water dam for local use. Los Pelambres also agreed that it will use sea water for any further expansions of its mining operations.

On Tuesday, the civil court of Los Vilos ruled that Los Pelambres must destroy a dam it is constructing at the mine, as it is obstructing the natural flow of water to the local town of Caimanes.

Analysts at Barclays said yesterday that Antofagasta has “a reasonable track record in dealing with these sorts of issues”. They added: “We would expect it to come out relatively un­scathed.”

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Markets & Economics

Categories

  • Markets

Related Topics

  • Antofagasta Holdings
  • Company

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Monzo chair makes early exit after boardroom rift

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

More from Morning Wire

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as Antofagasta prompts miner sell-off; oil prices cool

    FTSE 100 Live
    Glencore floated on the London Stock Exchange in 2011 and is one of the largest members of the FTSE 100.
  • As it happened: Oil prices tumble as Bessent says US-Iran deal imminent; miner stocks rally

    Markets
    Scott Bessent, a man with gray hair and glasses, wearing a blue suit and striped tie, looking to the side.
  • As it happened: Stocks reverse losses after Trump threatens harder strikes on Iran; Oil at four-week high

    Markets
    Donald Trump has threatened to sue the BBC for $1bn
  • Tory and Labour councillors spar over £300m Hammersmith Bridge plans

    Politics
    Hammersmith Bridge spanning the River Thames, surrounded by lush greenery and clear blue skies, capturing its iconic archi...
  • China’s mega London embassy to go ahead after High Court blocks challenge

    Politics
    Protesters hold signs saying STOP Chinese Secret Policing in the UK and Safeguard National Security
  • Sizewell B granted 20-year life extension

    Energy
    Sizewell B nuclear power station in Norfolk with clear skies and surrounding landscape, highlighting energy infrastructure.
  • As it happened: FTSE 100 mixed; oil breaks $91 as Trump rules out new US-Iran ceasefire

    FTSE 100 Live
    Donald Trump speaking emphatically at a podium, wearing a navy suit and blue tie, with a microphone and lights visible.
  • Burnham set for crunch decision on JP Morgan’s £10bn tower

    Banking
    Breaking news update with relevant statistics and graphs displayed on a digital screen, highlighting recent data trends.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook