Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,720.30
-0.28%
DAX
26,338.61
-0.38%
CAC 40
8,579.60
-0.66%
STOXX 50
6,530.45
-0.14%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 10 October 2019 8:20 am  |  Updated:  Tuesday 15 October 2019 3:46 pm

Apple removes Hong Kong protest app HKmap.live that tracks police movements

By: Joe Curtis

Add as a preferred source on Google
Hong Kong protesters can no longer download HKmap.live on Apple's iPhone
People wear masks and light up their mobile phones during a flash mob rally in the Sham Shui Po district in Hong Kong on October 5, 2019, a day after the city's leader outlawed face coverings at protests invoking colonial-era emergency powers not used for half a century. - Pro-democracy protesters marched through Hong Kong in defiance of the ban on face masks as much of the city ground to a halt on October 5 with the subway suspended and swathes of shops and malls shuttered following another night of violence. (Photo by Philip FONG / AFP) (Photo by PHILIP FONG/AFP via Getty Images)

Apple has deleted the HKmap.live app that allows Hong Kong protesters to track police movements from its App Store.

The tech giant said the app allowed protesters to ambush police in what have become increasingly violent clashes between authorities and anti-government activists.

Read more: Hong Kong bans face masks in crackdown on protesters

HKmap.live only received approval from Apple last week after first being rejected, and worked by crowdsourcing the locations of both police and protesters.

“The app has been used to target and ambush police, threaten public safety, and criminals have used it to victimize residents in areas where they know there is no law enforcement,” Apple said in a statement to Reuters.

“It said it had consulted with the Hong Kong Cybersecurity and Technology Crime Bureau before making its decision.

The iPhone maker also said it had investigated the app after “many concerned customers in Hong Kong” had contacted the firm.

Apple said the app was a threat to law enforcement and Hong Kong citizens.

It also removed BackupHK, an app that mirrors the main app and acts as a backup.

A Twitter account associated with HKmap.live’s developer said: “The majority of user review[s] in App Store … suggest HKmap IMPROVED public safety, not the opposite.”

Read more

Pre-season tours: Inside the economics of football’s summer money-spinners

Enthusiastic football fans, some in Chelsea and AC Milan jerseys, smiling and making peace signs at an event.

HKmap.live worked by collecting social network posts to identify where protesters and police were located.

Moderators removed any that promoted criminal actions, the Twitter account said.

HKmap.live said Apple’s move was “clearly a political decision to suppress freedom and human rights in #HongKong”.

The app’s deletion comes after an editorial in China’s People’s Daily that accused Apple of “protecting rioters” with what the newspaper called a “poisonous app”.

The app remains available on web browsers and on Android. Meanwhile previously downloaded versions of HKmap.live still appear to be working on iPhones.

Protesters have also shared coordinated by using the encrypted messaging app Telegram to share police movements.

Apple’s controversial decision follows other firms getting into hot water over Hong Kong.

Read more: ‘The camera works unbelievably well’: Read our review of the iPhone 11 Pro Max

NBA sports team Houston Rockets’ manager Daryl Morey apologised after expressing his support for protesters.

Jewellery brand Tiffany also pulled an ad campaign that depicted a woman covering her eye, which protesters have done after police shot a woman in her right eye.

Read more

China’s mega London embassy to go ahead after High Court blocks challenge

Protesters hold signs saying STOP Chinese Secret Policing in the UK and Safeguard National Security

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Related Topics

  • Hong Kong
  • International

Trending Articles

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Is the Zeekr 9X Super Hybrid the new luxury SUV to beat?

  • Grandparents fund university degrees to avoid inheritance tax net

  • Aldi boss wades into supermarket ‘price-gouging’ row

More from Morning Wire

  • Pre-season tours: Inside the economics of football’s summer money-spinners

    Sport Business
    Enthusiastic football fans, some in Chelsea and AC Milan jerseys, smiling and making peace signs at an event.
  • China’s mega London embassy to go ahead after High Court blocks challenge

    Politics
    Protesters hold signs saying STOP Chinese Secret Policing in the UK and Safeguard National Security
  • Spirit and Heart both Superb chances at Sha Tin

    Sport
    Caspar Fownes at Happy Valley Racecourse during nine-race event in Hong Kong post-Mid-Autumn Festival celebrations
  • Breeze and Monarch can make chances Count at Sha Tin

    Sport
    David Eustace preparing horses King and Molly at Happy Valley for the upcoming 10-race programme in Hong Kong.
  • Options Strengthens North America Presence with New York Office Expansion In the Heart of Wall Street

    Business Wire
  • From Mongolian camels to Tibetan verbs: the absurdity Ed Miliband’s aid spending plans

    Opinion
    Ed Miliband speaking at a podium during a press conference, addressing energy policy reforms and climate change initiatives.
  • Will the Nations Championship financially underdeliver for in-need Fiji?

    Sport Business
    Getty Images logo displayed prominently on a digital screen, symbolizing the brands visual content prowess and media prese...
  • Options Unveils H1 2026 AtlasFeed and Raw Market Data Feed Expansion

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook