Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,743.35
+0.14%
DAX
26,091.33
0.00%
CAC 40
8,501.91
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,444.46
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Tuesday 07 December 2021 7:43 am  |  Updated:  Tuesday 07 December 2021 5:16 pm

Babcock recovers from heavy pandemic losses with £400m disposals plan and UK contracts

By: Nicholas Earl

Add as a preferred source on Google
Babcock lowered its guidance for profit for the year today in the company's first update since chief executive Archie Bethel said he would step down.
Babcock

Babcock has recovered from heavy losses to report an operating profit of £75.4m, after being in the red to the tune of £758.3m this time last year.

Its strengthened half-year performance has been powered by sales of multiple businesses, including its Frazer-Nash consultancy for £290m, the sale of its AirTanker holdings for £95m, and its oil and gas aviation business for £10m.

The deals were part of a £400m disposals plan.

The aerospace and defence giant has also benefited from cost savings of £20m, growing revenues and an increased contract backlog.

Revenues have risen eight per cent to £2.23bn, up from £2.05bn while earnings per share have also trebled to 15.3p, up from 5.8p.

Meanwhile, its contract backlog has increased from £9.4bn to £10.9bn.

Deals reached include increased business with the UK armed forces, such as a £3.5bn five-year deal with the Royal Navy for its Future Maritime Support Programme, a £150 million logistic support contract with the armed forces, and a £110 million contract to deliver the new strategic radio service for critical UK military operations.

The group also recently reached a deal with the Australian government to oversee its defence communications for its land and sea forces.

The industry has proved resilient throughout the pandemic, with governments maintaining defence spending commitments and contract opportunities.

Read more

PwC slapped with multi-million fine for audit failures at FTSE 100 firm Babcock

PwC cuts roles and apprenticeship

Net debt remains high, but has been reduced, with £1.35bn reported for the six months to September, a moderate reduction on £1.61bn reported this time last year.

Interestingly, operating cash flow also remains an issue – with minus figures of £160.6m reported in the results, a vast year-on-year increase from £4.4m in the red in 2020.

Babcock says this reflects material cash outflows including additional pension contributions, restructuring costs, investments in facilities and IT upgrades and the unwinding over time of the historical management of working capital around period ends.

The company is keeping its outlook for the year unchanged, and remains confident in its medium term prospects.

David Lockwood, chief executive officer, said: “While our half year results show some recovery from the financial impact of COVID-19, we remain cautious as we are early on in our transformation and as we manage inflationary and supply chain pressures across the business and potential interruptions from COVID-19. However, the board believes the actions we are taking will enable the group to take advantage of the many opportunities ahead of us, leading to improved cash generation and profitability in the medium term.”

Neil Shah, executive director at Edison Group described the results as broadly in line with expectations – benefitting from contract wins and cost reduction measures.

He said: “Looking ahead, the group remains cautious in light of ongoing external pressures of Covid-19 variants and supply chain disruption, however, the progress made during this period leaves the Group well placed to continue its transformation and recovery.”

Following the results, the company’s shares are up 1.37 per cent on the London Stock Exchange’s main market on Tuesday afternoon.

Read more

Babcock and Rolls-Royce stocks rally after Healey appointment

Defence secretary John Healey is leading calls for further investment in the sector.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • Markets & Economics

Categories

  • Business

Related Topics

  • Aviation

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 mixed; oil breaks $91 as Trump rules out new US-Iran ceasefire

More from Morning Wire

  • PwC slapped with multi-million fine for audit failures at FTSE 100 firm Babcock

    Big Four
    PwC cuts roles and apprenticeship
  • Babcock and Rolls-Royce stocks rally after Healey appointment

    Industrials
    Defence secretary John Healey is leading calls for further investment in the sector.
  • Amentum to Support Critical Infrastructure and Platforms Under New Engineering Services Framework

    Business Wire
  • Rolls-Royce shares rise as Burnham pledges investment in British defence

    Politics
    Andy Burnham speaking at a press conference, wearing a suit and tie, addressing current political issues in Manchester.
  • House prices suffer biggest August slump in eight years 

    Property
    Aerial view of colorful residential houses built on a hillside, nestled among green trees, representing housing markets
  • Student housing giant Unite faces £400m loss amid property value slump

    Property
    Unite Students building with brick facade and blue windows, city skyline in background under blue sky
  • Rolls-Royce share jump as profit beats expectations

    Industrials
    Rolls-Royce is a member of the FTSE 100. Credit - Getty.
  • Deloitte warns of ‘challenges ahead’ for European football despite €40bn milestone

    Sport Business
    Getty Images logo on office building exterior under clear blue sky, representing global media and stock photography company
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook