Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,748.16
+0.04%
DAX
25,983.04
0.00%
CAC 40
8,453.09
0.00%
STOXX 50
6,422.06
0.00%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Thursday 12 December 2019 4:43 pm  |  Updated:  Thursday 12 December 2019 5:15 pm

BAE Systems faces accusations of ‘aiding and abetting’ alleged Saudi war crimes in Yemen

By: Alex Daniel

Add as a preferred source on Google
The Yemen conflict has raged since 2015
The Yemen conflict has raged since 2015

BAE Systems has been accused of having contributed to alleged war crimes in the conflict in Yemen by a group of human rights organisations, in a complaint to the International Criminal Court (ICC).

The European Centre for Constitutional and Human Rights (ECCHR) has submitted a 300-page document accusing European arms executives at firms such as BAE, Airbus and Raytheon of “aiding and abetting” the alleged crimes.

Read more: Liz Truss apologises as more breaches of Saudi arms ban come to light

The war in Yemen has been raging since 2015, and more than 100,000 people are estimated to have been killed. 

A coalition led by Saudi Arabia against the Houthi rebels, who support Iran, has repeatedly carried out airstrikes that human rights groups have criticised.

The document cites 26 strikes which killed 135 people. It describes some of as them attacks on hospitals and schools by Saudi bombers or those from its coalition ally the United Arab Emirates. 

Radhya Almutawakel, chairperson of Yemeni organization Mwatana for Human Rights, said: “Saudi/UAE-led coalition airstrikes have caused terrible destruction in Yemen. Weapons produced and exported by the US and Europe have enabled this destruction.

“Five years into this war, the countless Yemeni victims deserve credible investigations into all perpetrators of crimes against them, including those potentially complicit.”

Human rights campaigners from Amnesty International and Campaign Against the Arms Trade handed over the file in The Hague, where the ICC is based.

Linde Bryk, Legal Advisor at ECCHR, added: “European companies – and indirectly European states – have profited from arms exports to the Saudi/UAE-led coalition. At the same time these arms are used in Yemen in international humanitarian law violations that may amount to war crimes.”

Read more

Burnham’s cost of living push under threat as oil hits $100

Two men stand in the ocean with multiple oil tankers and cargo ships in the hazy distance.

UK ministers promised in June to stop green-lighting export licences to Saudi Arabia and its military coalition allies for use in Yemen, after a challenge by campaigners at the Court of Appeal. 

But trade secretary Liz Truss faced calls to resign in October after admitting to several “inadvertent” breaches of that promise.

Judges hearing the case earlier this year said existing licences should be reviewed, but that they would not be suspended straight away. However, Truss predecessor Liam Fox had assured them the government would not grant further export licences while it considered the ruling.

BAE Systems is contracted to the UK government, not to Saudi entities in the selling of arms to the kingdom.

Patrick Wilcken, Amnesty International’s arms control researcher, said: “An ICC investigation would be a historic step towards holding arms company executives accountable for their business decisions.

Read more: UK arms sales to Saudi Arabia judged unlawful

“Company executives have had ample time and access to plenty of reliable information to reassess their decisions to supply the coalition in the light of the horrific events in Yemen.”

A spokesperson for BAE Systems said: “We provide defence equipment, training and support under government to government agreements between the UK and KSA [the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia].‎

“We comply with all relevant export control laws and regulations in the countries in which we operate. Our activities are subject to UK government approval and oversight.”

Read more

BAE Systems raises guidance yet Burnham wavers on defence

Andy Burnham and Volodymyr Zelenskyy walking, with uniformed military personnel in background.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Related Topics

  • BAE Systems
  • International

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: Miners fuel FTSE 100 recovery; oil jumps as Trump claims Strait of Hormuz

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Burnham’s cost of living push under threat as oil hits $100

    Markets
    Two men stand in the ocean with multiple oil tankers and cargo ships in the hazy distance.
  • BAE Systems raises guidance yet Burnham wavers on defence

    Industrials
    Andy Burnham and Volodymyr Zelenskyy walking, with uniformed military personnel in background.
  • Exclusive: Saudi ship struck by Houthis had insurance from Lloyd’s insurance giant

    Insurance
    Rising borrowing costs depicted amid escalating tensions following the Iran war, illustrating economic impact on global ma...
  • AI, drones and data: Defence giants splash record $4.1bn on tech start-ups

    Tech
    Defence
  • As it happened: Stocks jump as oil drops below $100; Trump in tariff blitz

    Markets
    Donald Trump speaking at a press conference with microphones, blue sky background
  • As it happened: Stocks fall into red as oil fluctuates over Middle East developments

    FTSE 100 Live
    Large oil tanker navigating a strait under a cloudy sky, impacting oil prices and global trade.
  • Rolls-Royce shares rise as Burnham pledges investment in British defence

    Politics
    Andy Burnham speaking at a press conference, wearing a suit and tie, addressing current political issues in Manchester.
  • AI data centres and defence tech lead investment wave

    Tech
    Business professionals in a modern office discussing a strategic plan with charts and graphs displayed on a large screen
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook