Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,743.35
+0.14%
DAX
26,091.33
-0.14%
CAC 40
8,501.91
-0.09%
STOXX 50
6,444.46
-0.37%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Friday 27 March 2015 9:53 am

Plans for a Bakerloo line extension through Lewisham, Camberwell and Beckenham have huge support from south Londoners following consultation

By: Lynsey Barber

Add as a preferred source on Google

Londoners have given overwhelming support to long-awaited plans for extending the Bakerloo line further into south London from Elephant Castle.

Transport for London has received one of its largest-ever responses to a consultation, which is proposing the extension of the Tube to Lewisham, and potentially even as far as Hayes.

Some 96 per cent of the 15,000 people who responded backed the project, which has been mooted for many years and is estimated to cost around £3bn.

More than 11,000 people said they supported it on the basis it would regenerate the area, which is currently least served by the city's Tube network, through new developments. Over 50 per cent said it would provide better connectivity.

Three quarters of responses came from residents of Southwark, Lewisham and Bromley, the major areas through which the line, dubbed locally the "Bakerloowisham", will pass.

The two route options on the table, one running through Camberwell and Peckham Rye and the other through Old Kent Road, both gained strong support.

The Camberwell option gained support from 64 per cent of respondents while the Old Kent Road route gained 49 per cent backing.

TfL, which as recently as 2012 said the project was not high on its list of priorities, said the "vital new transport link" would help spur jobs, new homes and regeneration in south east London

"This extension has huge potential to breathe a new lease of life into south London’s opportunity areas, as well as delivering urgently needed rapid transit capacity in the area," said Mayor of London Boris Johnson, who's massive London Infrastructure Plan 2050 report resurfaced the plan and got the ball rolling.

TfL will now assess some of the suggestions raised in the consultation and make a decision on the exact route and how far it should stretch. It's likely a final decision won't come until next year.

The timeline for the project is expected to be 2025 to begin construction as it will take time to gain the funding required and completion during "the early 2030s". 

Peter Hendy, TfL's commissioner, has suggested that it could be completed as early as 2030, a decade earlier than was predicted last year.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Business
  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • Transport for London

Trending Articles

  • Jobless Banquet: Youth unemployment surge ‘sends Neets to KFC’

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 drops as oil prices rise after Trump makes Hormuz threat

  • US bond market jitters spark UK economy recession warning

  • Amanda Blanc has worked her magic at Aviva

  • City law firm sues prominent Emirati business family

More from Morning Wire

  • Andy Burnham should show London he cares by funding this one transport project

    Opinion
    Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, standing outside 10 Downing Street in a suit and tie.
  • No air conditioning on the Tube? Blame Sadiq Khan

    Opinion
    Crowded London Underground platform during summer heat wave, passengers fanning themselves to stay cool
  • FTSE 100 property giants urge Burnham to unleash London office construction

    Property
    Skyline of Canada with iconic financial district buildings, highlighting UK investments and economic growth.
  • Point2 Completes $136M Series B Funding with Arm, LB Investment, and Maverick Silicon

    Business Wire
  • The BBC shouldn’t push Londoners to accept antisocial phone behaviour 

    Opinion
    Passengers inside a graffiti-covered London Underground train car, some looking at phones, others observing the interior.
  • Fifa refuses to back down on World Cup sell-off in face of European boycott

    Sport Business
    Gianni Infantino smiling and giving a thumbs up, wearing a suit against a blue and white background.
  • London doesn’t need more social housing, it needs more housing full stop

    Opinion
    Luxurious mansions surrounded by manicured gardens in an upscale residential neighborhood, highlighting opulent housing tr...
  • Mayor gives green light for 4am Joshua vs Fury fight at Wembley

    Sport Business
    Business professionals in a meeting analyzing financial data on laptops, highlighting corporate strategy and decision-making.
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook