Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 24 August 2020 1:23 pm

Balfour Beatty joint venture secures £1.3bn Hong Kong airport deal

By: Edward Thicknesse

Add as a preferred source on Google
Construction firm Balfour Beatty this morning announced that its south-east Asia joint venture has won a HK$12.9bn (£1.27bn) contract to expand Hong Kong International Airport’s Terminal 2.

Construction firm Balfour Beatty this morning announced that its south-east Asia joint venture has won a HK$12.9bn (£1.27bn) contract to expand Hong Kong International Airport’s Terminal 2.

Under the four-year deal, Gammon, of which the FTSE 250 company owns 50 per cent, will increase the size of the main terminal building and construct the surrounding architecture of bridges, roads and electrical works.

The contract, which was awarded by Hong Kong’s Airport Authority, is the single largest contract Gammon has ever won.

It is also the second deal the semi-autonomous state’s airport operator has awarded it this year, after it secured a £760m tunnel building deal at Hong Kong International earlier this year.

The expansion project forms part of the “Three-Runway” programme at the airport, which when completed will allow for both arrivals and departures from one terminal and increase overall passenger capacity.

Balfour Beatty’s chief executive Leo Quinn said: “Through leveraging wide-ranging engineering expertise and offsite and modular construction approaches Gammon has secured a material share of the Hong Kong market which continues to look favourable with significant infrastructure opportunities ahead.”

The firm purchased its stake in the Hong Kong-based engineering firm from rival infrastructure giant Skanska in 2004.

Read more

Balfour Beatty ups profit forecasts as it defies construction gloom

Balfour Beatty construction site showcasing cranes, workers, and building progress against a city skyline backdrop

Shares in the construction firm rose over one per cent in the morning’s trading. 

News of the new deal comes just weeks after the company announced a £24m loss in the first half of 2020, as the coronavirus pandemic forced it to shut many of its construction sites.

Despite the loss, Balfour Beatty said that it expected its performance to recover through the rest of this year, with profit forecast to return to 2019 levels next year.

Largely due to £3bn in new contracts related to the HS2 rail link, the firm said that it had increased its order book by 20 per cent in the first half. 

It now stands at £17.5bn, up from £14.3bn at the end of last year.

As of the end of June, around 95 per cent of Balfour’s sites are now open again, with the firm aiming to return to pre-Covid levels of productivity as fast as possible.

This month’s GDP figures from the Office of National Statistics showing construction output dropped 35 per cent in the last quarter, as lockdown forced many firms to suspend the majority of their activity. 

Read more

Pre-season tours: Inside the economics of football’s summer money-spinners

Enthusiastic football fans, some in Chelsea and AC Milan jerseys, smiling and making peace signs at an event.

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Transport & Infrastructure

Related Topics

  • Balfour Beatty
  • Construction industry

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

More from Morning Wire

  • Balfour Beatty ups profit forecasts as it defies construction gloom

    Transport & Infrastructure
    Balfour Beatty construction site showcasing cranes, workers, and building progress against a city skyline backdrop
  • Pre-season tours: Inside the economics of football’s summer money-spinners

    Sport Business
    Enthusiastic football fans, some in Chelsea and AC Milan jerseys, smiling and making peace signs at an event.
  • Options Announces CIX Trading, Canada’s Newest Alternative Trading System (ATS)

    Business Wire
  • TA Portfolio Company Gong cha to Be Acquired by Bain Capital

    Business Wire
  • Options Announces the Availability of Kimi K3 on Its PrivateMind Platform At No Additional Cost to Existing Customers

    Business Wire
  • Options Unveils H1 2026 AtlasFeed and Raw Market Data Feed Expansion

    Business Wire
  • Twilight and Thunder the Calls at Shergar Cup

    Sport
    William Haggas, a man with gray hair and blue eyes, smiling and wearing a tan coat and patterned tie
  • Harvey Nichols will collapse without rescue deal, directors warn

    Retail
    Exterior view of the Harvey Nichols luxury department store building facade with prominent black lettering and ornate arch...
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook