Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026London --:--Frankfurt --:--Zurich --:--
NewslettersSearchEN · DE · FR
MorningWire

European business, markets and politics

FTSE 100
10,816.56
+0.64%
DAX
26,136.56
+0.59%
CAC 40
8,484.43
+0.37%
STOXX 50
6,462.22
+0.63%
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
More
GermanyFranceEU InstitutionsCompetitionPublic AffairsBankingTechnologyEnergy
  • Germany
  • France
  • Europe
  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • DE
Monday 08 June 2020 4:08 pm  |  Updated:  Monday 08 June 2020 4:11 pm

Barclays squares up for latest legal battle as £1.5bn Staveley suit hits High Court

By: Anna Menin

Add as a preferred source on Google
Amanda Staveley barclays case
Amanda Staveley's private equity firm PCP has launched a £1.5bn civil case against Barclays

Financier Amanda Staveley’s private equity firm today told the High Court it had received a “substantially worse” deal than Qatar when its syndicate invested billions of pounds in Barclays during the financial crisis in 2008, as it launched a civil case against the bank. 

PCP Capital Partners is claiming damages of up to £1.5bn for alleged deceit. At the opening hearing of the trial, which is taking place online, a lawyer for Staveley’s PCP Capital Partners alleged Barclays had reneged on written and oral representations that PCP’s syndicate would get the same terms as Qatar.

The case hinges on the terms Barclays offered Qatar and PCP’s syndicate, which included Abu Dhabi investors, for taking part in a £7.3bn cash call in October 2008 that allowed the British bank to avoid a state bailout.

Barclays has dismissed the case as misconceived. “We believe the claim is misconceived and without merit and Barclays will be vigorously defending it,” a spokesperson said.

The bank argues that an eight-year Serious Fraud Office inquiry into whether side deals – known as advisory service agreements (ASAs) – struck with Qatar in 2008 had in fact been undisclosed fees had resulted in blanket acquittals.

PCP, whose syndicate invested about £3.25bn in Barclays in 2008, was paid £30m in April 2009 for its work on the deal.

PCP is alleging that Barclays paid Qatar £346m pounds in extra fees as well as agreeing to a $3bn (£2.4bn) for the Gulf nation in November 2008 that at the date of drawdown almost exactly matched the amount Qatar was investing.

“In fact, the deal that the Qataris got was very substantially better and PCP’s deal very substantially worse,” lawyer Joe Smouha told the court as he opened the case for the private equity firm.

Qatar has said its investment in Barclays created a strategic partnership and was part of a plan to build a global financial portfolio and that the ASAs were genuine.

The high-profile trial, one of the last legal clashes in Britain to revolve around the 2008 financial crisis, is expected to hear nine weeks of evidence.

Staveley is due to give evidence later this week, and former Barclays chief executive John Varley and former senior banker Roger Jenkins are expected to be called to give evidence.

The PCP case comes to court four months after Jenkins and two other former Barclays executives were acquitted of fraud in the criminal case brought by the SFO over two 2008 fundraisings. Varley was acquitted last year.

Read more

Staveley planning ‘big property play’ as she closes in on West Ham stake

Smiling woman with blonde hair and black sunglasses in a black coat

Share this article

  • Facebook
  • X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email

Similarly tagged content:

Sections

  • News

Categories

  • Banking

Related Topics

  • Barclays

Trending Articles

  • House prices in wealthy London boroughs fall by up to £300,000

  • Ratcliffe’s Ineos saves Runcorn plant

  • Amazon says it buys books in bulk to ‘improve products’

  • Mike Ashley’s Frasers offers to pay personal shoppers in Harvey Nichols takeover

  • As it happened: FTSE 100 rallies after JD Sports drags on blue chips; oil jumps again

More from Morning Wire

  • Staveley planning ‘big property play’ as she closes in on West Ham stake

    Sport Business
    Smiling woman with blonde hair and black sunglasses in a black coat
  • Barclays in legal battle with MFS administrators over part of £160m holding

    Banking
    Barclays bank exterior with logo as it announces mortgage rate cuts amidst upcoming interest rate decision.
  • West Ham: Staveley receives Sadiq Khan encouragement to buy London Stadium

    Sport Business
    Low-angle view of a football stadium from the pitch, showing the corner marking and empty seats under a blue sky
  • Mark Kleinman: English football’s New Deal heads into injury time

    Business
    Mark Kleinman is Sky News' City Editor and writes a column for Morning Wire
  • Where heritage meets diplomacy: The Qatar Goodwood Festival and the UK–Middle East partnership

    Partner
    Horses and jockeys racing past a grandstand packed with spectators at the Qatar Goodwood Festival under a blue sky
  • Meet the top lawyer challenging Gianni Infantino’s Fifa power play

    Law
    Gianni Infantino, FIFA President, waves to a crowd with a blue and gold patterned background
  • Revealed: Natwest banked company used by MFS founder to ‘siphon off’ funds

    Banking
    Hand holding a NatWest debit card with a colorful design, blurred NatWest logo in the background.
  • IFF to Webcast Fireside Chat at Barclays Global Consumer Conference on Sept. 10

    Business Wire
MorningWire

Independent European business, markets and political news for decision-makers.

Morning Briefing

Europe

  • Germany
  • France
  • EU Institutions
  • Europe

Business

  • Markets
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Regulation
  • Competition
  • Public Affairs

Editorial

  • Opinion
  • Editorial Policy
  • Corrections
  • Contact

Company

  • About Morning Wire
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use
  • Cookie Policy
© 2026 Morning Wire Ltd · Published by Morning Wire Media, Bahnhofstrasse 65, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland
Privacy · Terms · Cookies · Facebook